pop and click filters

Does anyone know anything about pop and click filters to minimize surface noise on LPs during conversion to tape (cassette)? I know there are sophisticated software/hardware products on the market now that do this and they may well be the only thing that works but I have heard there were once black boxes that minimized noise without losing too much fidelity. Does anyone know of such products and who made them and where can I find one? Thanks
e_bernsd793
Burwin noise reduction used during the 1970's. Dan at Arizona Hi-fi [in Mesa, a suburb of Phoenix] used to refurbish these units, but that was a few years ago. If you're interested, you can contact him at 480-921-9957
You may be referring to the Phase Linear "Autocorrelator 1000"

These were mfgered in the late 70's, and early 80's. They had an open ended noise reduction circut to reduce surface noise (clicks and pops) on records, and also helped reduced tape hiss, and a dynamic range expanding circuit.

They worked fairly well, I still have one that dosen't function any longer.

There is usually 2 or 3 available on EBAY most of the time ... can be had for under $100 most of the time. Make sure you get the manual with it.

From the Phase Linear site ... please view link for picture.

PHASE LINEAR SITE

Phase Linear offered a number of other components other than amplifiers, pre-amplifiers and speakers. (When speaker information and photos are available, I will add them to the website). The line expanded considerably after Pioneer purchased Phase Linear. Here are a few of the lesser known Phase Linear components.

Model 1000 Autocorrelator Noise Reduction System

The Phase Linear 1000 Autocorrelator Noise Reduction & Dynamic Range Recovery System was a stand-alone component. It was introduced in the mid-1970s to complement pre-amplifiers that did not have this circuitry.

Model 1000 Series Two Noise Reduction System

The model 1000 Series Two was introduced in 1978, replacing the original 1000.

HTH, Dave
The best of the bunch was the Burwen Research TNE 7000A Transient Noise Eliminator, also marketed under the KLH name. This is the unit that most recording studios had in their racks. They're available on Ebay for around $120 usually. I have one, but have never tried it out, so I can't give any firsthand feedback.

My plan was not to use it for listening, but to use it while burning any noisier lp's to CD, to cut down on the amount of manual declicking necessary in the computer. (The noise detection/elimination software is far from perfect, so there can be substantial work in finding and fixing clicks in the PC.)

p.s. If you don't mind the use of "black boxes" (unlike many diehard audiogoners) and you want to improve the sound of your vinyl, the unit to have is the DBX 3BX-DS (or the 4BX or 5BX). Properly used, it will WOW you!
Yes such devices have been manufactured. Back in the 1970s a company named Burwen put out two units, one for tape hiss, and one for clicks and pops. In the 1980s and 1990s a company named Packburn in Dewitt, NY (near Syracuse) put out the Packburn Audio Noise Suppressor Model 323A, which had a stage for diminishing hiss as well as a stage for diminishing clicks and pops. For a while it was listed in Stereophile's "Recommended Components." Stereophile called the Packburn "the Cadillac of nose suppression units." I ended up getting one directly from the company for $2,400. As the years have passed, it has developed a hum. Whether the hum is an internal issues, or whether there is an externl factor, I don't know. I haven't try to deal with it seriously because I now transfer my LPs to CDs using Sony's Sonic Forge software.