Sonicweld Diverter HR, etc...

At present, I'm running a Locus Design Cynosure USB cable into a modified (by Parts Connexion) Benchmark DAC 1. The signal goes through Kimber Select 1036 to active Mackie monitors, and I'm pretty pleased with the sound.

I'm considering a Sonicweld Diverter HR, which then of course means buying a S/PDIF cable, and it would have to be one reasonably commensurate with the quality of the Cynosure, and then maybe I would buy a better and more advanced DAC like the Bel Canto 3.5.

So my question is, what kind of improvement should I expect from the Diverter and associated cables and a new DAC? I'd be in for SEVERAL thousand more dollars in that arrangement, and it would never be worth it for a 5-10% improvement in sonics. But if the upgrade were more like 30-40%, I could deal with it a little easier.

Can anyone weigh in on this conundrum?
thedautch
The Sonicweld Diverter HR is fantastic and has - as one reviewer put it - more of everything than anything else. It is quite revealing of USB cables = I tried 3 and each readily, distinctly different. But even with these differences, the overall increase in realism/ low noise floor/clarity/dynamics/emotional involvement just blew me away. I found 2 well regarded soundcards and a popular USB/SPDIF converter to have their plus sides but the Diverter is every penny better. I have no regrets whatsoever.
I have a Sonicweld Diverter HR and an Audiophilleo 1. The Diverter is by far better and that's saying something, because the Audiophilleo is excellent; but the Diverter is superior. I don't know about the BADA USB (and I have a Berkeley DAC), but it's true that it uses the same asynchronous algorithm as the Wavelength, which I have heard in the Ayre QB-9 and found lacking. If you have the funds, I would recommend going with the Diverter.
The Diverter HR, the Synergistic and the Off-Ramp 5 are USB converters in a class of their own. It is the most important part of any digital audio system, so dont spare the change on this.

You DAC however needs work IMO. To waste a $2-3K converter with this DAC is not a good idea. you dont need to spend a fortune either. The converter is more important than the DAC.

Here are some better alternatives:

1) Off-Ramp 5 -> 1.5m HDMI I2S cable -> Wired For Sound DAC2 (world-class combo)

2) Any of the converters above driving S/PDIF through a 1.5m good quality cable to Metrum Octave DAC

Dont spare the change on the I2S or S/PDIF coax cable either. Expect to spend at least $500. BNC on both ends is best, but on one end is good too.

Likewise, the USB cable should be the best you can find.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
Steve, Can you please recommend your favourite S/PDIF cable at the moment?

cheers,
Andrew
Find an original FIM gold or Silver and never look back! Nothing and I mean NOTHING I ever tried regardless of cost was able to beat that thing. I will say that the top of the line Synergistic digital cables are VERY VERY good as well.