Is it worth purchasing the VPI 16.5?

Having not had the opportunity to audition this product prior to purchasing I was wondering what people who have owned and used this record cleaning system over the years might have to say about it. Is it worth the investment?
rfigster
Rfigster

The VPI 16-5 is well worth the money. It is built like a tank and the only upkeep is a brush replacement now and then. However, the most important aspect is that LP's before cleaning and the same LP's after being cleaned are just not the same records. The sound is soooo much more revealing in everyway. And it deminishes the surface noise considerably.

No LP gets to my VPI 'Scout' without being cleaned by the VPI 16.5 first. Indispensiable.

Regards,

AEW
I have owned a VPI 16.5 for probably 10 years now. I've replaced the vacuum tube several times. I remember debating when I bought it--do I really need something to clean my records like this? Well, I wouldn't be without it now. I don't see many used on the market--and that should tell you something, because as you can tell, a lot of people own them.
I sold my NG 1.5 in order to get the VPI and am very pleased in my decision to do so. Much easier to work with and it does a fine job on all vinyl I have cleaned. I agree with Raytheprinter on the brush though. I prefer the Disc Doctor brush but I use the VPI the the DD as I always do a dual cleaning.
A record cleaning machine is definitely a worthwhile purchase.

However, I find it hard to recommend the VPI 16.5. I recently purchased one new and it arrived with internal wires disconnected, and then the vacuum motor failed after cleaning a few records. Still trying to get it fixed. Customer service and QC does not seem to be a high priority for VPI these days.

On the other hand, I have had a manual Nitty Gritty vacuum record that has worked flawlessly for 2 years (but manual is a pain).

Have to look into the SOTA...
The Sota looks good, but I have a 16.5. Galen Carol has the best price I've found by far, and he is great to deal with. Whatever way you go, a good RCM is a must. Without opening the cleaning fluids debate again, I only use Audio Intelligent Vinyl Solutions. DD brushes are good too, as are the Last brushes. Don't forget a good carbon fiber brush to dust before you play. The VPI brush works great for the first cleaning cycle.