Trans Temp W, Magic Diamond cartridges - comments

Thanks to these forums, I feel like I know everything there is to know about ZYX's, but has anyone anything to say about the new Transfiguration Temper W? How about this year's cult fave, the Bluelectric Magic Diamond (Lloyd Walker's current favorite.)
128x128nsgarch
Hi Nsgarch: +++++ " But I think that the Transfig Temper is simply a better design (and build) than the vdH's. " ++++

I wonder: who in the world can say that. Btw, why the Transfig is " simply a better design than the vdH's " ?

If the quality music/sound reproduction is a proof of the design, then you have to hear a Colibri ( low output ) with the right analog rig in your home system after the Colibri returns for the tune up. Before this I think that your risky statement about has no validity at all.

I think that when we are talking of these high performance level all the cartridge designs are great ones and the main differences are in the designer music/sound reproduction priorities, the voicing of the cartridge and the execution of the design.
I can tell you which cartridge is better than other, but ( till now ) I can't tell you which is a better design and why it is. Can you?

Regards and enjoy the music.
Raul.
Raul, do you know the design of the transfiguration generator and how it is different from the typical yoke generator?
Dear Nsgarch: I own two Transfiguration: Spirit and the W.

Regards and enjoy the music.
Raul.
Raul, I will take your response as a "no." You can find descriptions of the Transfiguration generating system online. It is new and innovative. Based upon my understanding of electromechanical physics, it represents a more efficient way of producing a current in a moving coil cartridge. I suggest you do some research and then perhaps you will understand the reason for my comment.

I could have got a new Colibri XCP for the same price as the Temper W. In fact, the Temper W is my first non-vdH cartridge in some time. I could only afford to buy one cartridge of course, but I'm very happy with my decision to leave the conventional van den Hul design for something new that I consider more intelligent.
Nsgarsh,my instruction manual(that came with my cartridge)indicates this stylus angle as preferred.I,in the beginning, had the BODY fairly parallel,but found myself tilting backwards,as I played more and more records,over numerous listening sessions.I fully understand your trepidation with this,as I never would have thought the body needed this degree of back tilt.However,as time went on it became obvious to me.What I find hardest to obtain,in analog,is TRUE timbre in instruments.Too many hobbyists get off on bass.To me,dialing in the cartridge using various records,showing off timbre, results in ALL ELSE falling into place.I have a friend with the exact cartridge(vintage of about 18 months old),and his tilt back,is virtually identical.Once done,when one looks at the stylus tip from the side,the diamond seems to be about vertical in the groove.Obviously this is not written in stone,and some slight variation can be preferred.But,all in all,close to vertical is close to correct,in my set-up.As for the "W" I don't know.

Please understand,I'm not trying to get into any kind of an arguement.It's just that on my set-up,what my instructions(coming with my Temper-V)state,is in fact what my results came to be.I will admit that I overlooked the instruction recommended angle,for a long time,since I set up by ear.The only reason I went back,and took a hard look at the instructions,was because I,myself,could not believe that I had to go back on the arm,as I did.A paralel body,or even close to parallel,will be off sonically.When I noticed that the instruction manual said to check for stylus tip vertical,I did so,and found that my ears were not far off.The tip was,just about vertical,as stated.As for cutter rake,etc.,I could care less.I'm only concerned as to what sounds best,to me.

As an aside,what happened at my friend's home was very interesting,and aided my own set-up.We had numerous fellow audio-buffs over,One was my friend Sid(who is obsessed with Decca's,Mercury's etc).He will not,under any circumstances,let any of us off the hook,if something is off.You can KILL him sometimes,but,he's usually(actually,always)right.He wrote the Mercury column,for TAS years ago,and is now retired.I was the set-up man,unfortuneately,that night(actually several nights,under same circumstances)and after all was done,and Sid was FINALLY happy,with how voices sounded etc.,we checked tip angle,and it WAS just about vertical,from side.

In an effort to try to push the envelope,a bit farther along,we are now in the process of tube rolling,in the phono stage.We,both,have the same Great Northern Sound modded,Audio Research SP-15's.A three tube phono section affords us the ability to try out several of the leading 6dj8 types,without going bankrupt.The results have been REAL EYE-OPENERS.Virtually every type we tried,from Tele/Mullard/Ediswan 5358/Amperex 6922 vs 7308 etc.,have been completey different sounding.I was sworn to secrecy,as to the results,due to the rediculously overpriced nature of dealers,but,since I've been bloviating here,you deserve a result.We find the Joe's Tube Lore statements,to be DEAD ON.The winner,so far(we're still not done)is the early 60's Amperex 6922.Now if I can only get my hands on some nice "Pinched Waist" sets.Maybe Larry(Cello)or Dougdeacon has some lying around.Well that's it.Sorry for going on so long.Hope it wasn't a waste,to anyone!