Has anyone had experience with the Schroeder Arm

In a high res setup has anyone been able to compare this arm to the top pivoting competition.I think that the fact that the pivot is magnetic as opposedto a bearing like a unipivot(needing damping) should on paper be less resonant and maybe sound better.I currently own,and,am happy with a Graham 2.2,but the idea of a true frictionless bearing (all bearings have some degree of friction)really could make a real difference in a good setup.I'm not interested at the moment in straight line trackers with air bearings (although I love some of them)due to the hassle of external pumps and tubing runs.
sirspeedy
The Wheaton that I had was from about 4 years ago.I know that there is a newer model out.I spoke with the new owner of Wheaton at HE2004 and while I was trying to compliment his product I,at the same time told him of my concerns about the play in the vta scale as well as the fact that dialing in an EXACT tracking force required a "HUNT AND SEARCH" approach (with the non-exacting)way of sliding the counterweight as opposed to the EXACT threaded rotation of the GRAHAM.Tiny increments in downforce make all the diff. in a high res set up.His response to me was that he felt his counterweight system was good enough.I also noticed there was still play in the top vta scale so I politely wished him good luck and went my merry way.The Wheaton arm,as current,is,I'm sure,wonderful--just not my cup of tea.AS for EBM he won't get mad that I outed him but may come back with some stupid comment.LOOK OUT!
EBM.Sorry if I came down hard on your post.For all those here and now EBM is a very nice person with a very fine system,just not a very fine practical joker.P.S. I don't recall Barbara RANTING VEHEMENTLY at YOU when you sold me 3 records for $450.oo that you paid $60.oo for.She wasn't happy either!
I spoke with the new owner of Wheaton at HE2004 and while I was trying to compliment his product I,at the same time told him of my concerns about the play in the vta scale as well as the fact that dialing in an EXACT tracking force required a "HUNT AND SEARCH" approach (with the non-exacting)way of sliding the counterweight as opposed to the EXACT threaded rotation of the GRAHAM.Tiny increments in downforce make all the diff. in a high res set up.His response to me was that he felt his counterweight system was good enough.
Sirspeedy,
I recently contacted him with exactly the same concern (lack of fine control of VTF). I even offered an easily-implemented fix/upgrade that would provide the needed control. I got a similar response, polite but noncommital. :-(

OTOH it's not at all difficult to devise your own fine VTF control. We set our C/W for the top end of the likely range for the cartridge. If we want to reduce VTF then one or more O-rings slipped over the end stub reduce downforce by .01-.02g each. Pretty simple and very quick.

When someone makes the perfect arm I guess we'll all buy one. Until then we each have to choose our favorite set of compromises. If the Schroeder Ref had tool-less VTA adjustability with a scale for repeatability, there'd be one mounted on my table today.
Doug,I think I made it clear in my posts that I thought the WHEATON was a fine arm.However easy it is to fine tune out certain design imperfections and dial into a specific parameter(many analog front end stuff have these quirks),these manufacturers are charging megabucks(the Wheaton,I believe is 3900.sheckles).It is not too much for us audiobuffs to expect a higher degree of machining if you are going to pay the REDICULOUS prices the High End stuff seems to command.Why put a marker scale and arrow on top of the arm,to mark the vta if it is not really that accurate.Please don't get me wrong,and I don't want to agitate Wheaton owners,of which I was a happy one until my 2.2 came along.I mean even the cuing was not accurate on my arm.Couple that with the locking pillar being a home depot looking nut,the cuing fluid draining out after a short time and my friend having a 2.2 that I set up & realized how much more precise it was to dial into very tight parameters more quickly and easily I decided I could get better results with my current arm.I think I made the right choice,but,I'm not ruling out the fact that if I worked with the manufacturer and held onto the arm longer(I did have it over 2 years)I could have gotten better results.Unfortunately,and sadly,Herb Papier passed away(a SUPER nice guy)and the company sold around this time.