Has anyone had experience with the Schroeder Arm

In a high res setup has anyone been able to compare this arm to the top pivoting competition.I think that the fact that the pivot is magnetic as opposedto a bearing like a unipivot(needing damping) should on paper be less resonant and maybe sound better.I currently own,and,am happy with a Graham 2.2,but the idea of a true frictionless bearing (all bearings have some degree of friction)really could make a real difference in a good setup.I'm not interested at the moment in straight line trackers with air bearings (although I love some of them)due to the hassle of external pumps and tubing runs.
sirspeedy

Showing 6 responses by sirspeedy70680e509

At the expense of some EGG on EBM's face,and the person who originally started this thread,I'd like to chime in once again.EBM is a personal friend of mine who IS playing(an unappreciated)practical jokes.Ebm is wasting the time of all well meaning responders to this thread.I know this because he has been harping at me for the last month or two to sell my 2.2 and buy a Phantom.Why?I'm not kidding here:because "It must be great since it replaces the 2.2".I am the person who set up EBM's 2.2(which he loved until he saw the new AD copy for the Phantom).He as well as so many non thinking PHILES(although not the ones who seem to have responded to this thread)is totally ad and review driven.The mainstream press love guys like this.The Phantom looks like a superb arm.I already know the 2.2 IS.I own a transfiguration temper v as does EBM (I installed his).This cart has an effective mass of 7.5 gr.A great match for the 2.2When I look at Graham's own NIGhtingale Cartridge I see a mass of14.5 grahams.When I look at the new Phantom I see a design that looks to have more armtube mass than my 2.2 which will undoubtedly mate better with a wider range of heavier cartridges.This new halfway (compared to the Shroeder)magnaglide feature seems to be beneficial for those cartridges with a higher mass than mine.Obviously if the cartridge weighs more you don't want any twisting or you can stress the cantilever.This feature gives up the sideweight feature(that I happen to like with my particular cartridge).I'm kind of thinking that you can equate the sideweight slight movement to the suspension of a car shifting to adjust to bumps in the road>The 2.2 weight system shifting to imperfections in the groove.If you stabilize the arm and increase the tube mass it's like a plow through a road.I just have my own way of looking at this.I'm not necessarily right,but the 2.2 is So tuneable and reallyTRACES a groove that I can't get excited about the Phantom(at present).I have explained this to EBM but he is SO advertising driven that he decided to waste Your time (I appologize for him)by trying to goad me into randomly getting a new product just to justify his lust to spend spend spend.Don't get me started on the endless procession of pucks,cones,and power cords that have made their way into his rig.I like the Shroeder because of the uniqueness of the bearing design.To my way of thinking it will come closest to an air bearing,which is probably the most effective,but, a pain in the tush to deal with which is why I rule it out for myself.I'd love to see a review of the Shroeder in either TAS or Stereophile,but I'm not holding my breath since both of those mags are now almost always accomodating of their best advertisors.The best days are behind both of them anyway.I did own a Wheaton but was not happy with it.The vta adjustment was not precise(too much play in the scale)and the cuing fluid leaked out in a few months.SLOPPY!The GRaham 2.2 is a FABULOUS arm.It may be bettered by the new Phantom,but,If I'm going to go through the PAIN of dialing in a new arm I'd currently get more excited about the frictionless design of a Shroeder REF.AS for EBM please don'twaste the time of people who take these discussions seriously.Enjoy your retirement(you lucky dog)and go rent some new"B" movies to be enjoyed with your favorite fried Chinese foods you force on me every time I'm on a diet.Who cares?It's all a big joke to you!!
EBM.Sorry if I came down hard on your post.For all those here and now EBM is a very nice person with a very fine system,just not a very fine practical joker.P.S. I don't recall Barbara RANTING VEHEMENTLY at YOU when you sold me 3 records for $450.oo that you paid $60.oo for.She wasn't happy either!
I forgot to mention,there IS a PERFECT arm out there,but it is also REDICULOUS dollars.Fortunately I have been lucky enough to hear it on many occassions and through numerous other component upgrades,so,I THINK I know it's sonic signature quite well.It is the AIR-TANGENT arm.An unbelieveable non-sounding arm!However,it requires a bit of TLC to get right.My friend owns one(as well as the greatest vinyl collection imagineable)I mean you could buy Bermuda with the money he could get for his record collection(all,and I mean ALL the DECCAS,MERCS,EMI'setc).I hate him his stuff sounds so great.The one thing he did to get the most out of his GEM of an arm is to dump the pump that came with it,and,are you ready for this,bought a used compressor from a local dentist's office.He keeps this pump(which looks like,and is as big as a motor boat engine)in a closet in one of his 3 record rooms.I guess this does make this an imperfect arm,but,believe me,if you ever get a chance to hear a really good system with an air bearing design like this one you will immediately hear the difference.A cushiony soundstage with incredible detail and space between instruments.Most importantly,the lack of any bearing friction allows musical instruments to really bloom with the kind of timbre and harmonic glow that when heard makes one realize how much of a compromise pivot arms are.
Doug,I think if we pool our resources we could come up with the right(perfect match),but we would have to work out some kind of "divorce type"custody agreement.I have not,and probably will never hear the KUZMA
The Wheaton that I had was from about 4 years ago.I know that there is a newer model out.I spoke with the new owner of Wheaton at HE2004 and while I was trying to compliment his product I,at the same time told him of my concerns about the play in the vta scale as well as the fact that dialing in an EXACT tracking force required a "HUNT AND SEARCH" approach (with the non-exacting)way of sliding the counterweight as opposed to the EXACT threaded rotation of the GRAHAM.Tiny increments in downforce make all the diff. in a high res set up.His response to me was that he felt his counterweight system was good enough.I also noticed there was still play in the top vta scale so I politely wished him good luck and went my merry way.The Wheaton arm,as current,is,I'm sure,wonderful--just not my cup of tea.AS for EBM he won't get mad that I outed him but may come back with some stupid comment.LOOK OUT!
Doug,I think I made it clear in my posts that I thought the WHEATON was a fine arm.However easy it is to fine tune out certain design imperfections and dial into a specific parameter(many analog front end stuff have these quirks),these manufacturers are charging megabucks(the Wheaton,I believe is 3900.sheckles).It is not too much for us audiobuffs to expect a higher degree of machining if you are going to pay the REDICULOUS prices the High End stuff seems to command.Why put a marker scale and arrow on top of the arm,to mark the vta if it is not really that accurate.Please don't get me wrong,and I don't want to agitate Wheaton owners,of which I was a happy one until my 2.2 came along.I mean even the cuing was not accurate on my arm.Couple that with the locking pillar being a home depot looking nut,the cuing fluid draining out after a short time and my friend having a 2.2 that I set up & realized how much more precise it was to dial into very tight parameters more quickly and easily I decided I could get better results with my current arm.I think I made the right choice,but,I'm not ruling out the fact that if I worked with the manufacturer and held onto the arm longer(I did have it over 2 years)I could have gotten better results.Unfortunately,and sadly,Herb Papier passed away(a SUPER nice guy)and the company sold around this time.