Why is Double Blind Testing Controversial?

I noticed that the concept of "double blind testing" of cables is a controversial topic. Why? A/B switching seems like the only definitive way of determining how one cable compares to another, or any other component such as speakers, for example. While A/B testing (and particularly double blind testing, where you don't know which cable is A or B) does not show the long term listenability of a cable or other component, it does show the specific and immediate differences between the two. It shows the differences, if at all, how slight they are, how important, etc. It seems obvious that without knowing which cable you are listening to, you eliminate bias and preconceived notions as well. So, why is this a controversial notion?
moto_man
Doesn't double blind mean that the experimenter also does not know which is A and which is B? That's harder to pull off. Simple blind testing should suffice.

I agree with you. It should be used more.
I do not know why it is so controversial, but I can tell you it is irritating. Many who preach this methodology are so dogmatic about issues such as placebo effect, being deceived by snake oil salesmen, and the physical science behind a given product that many are insistent that audiophiles that don't apply this methodology are deceived.

Subjective audio enthusiasts know from personal experience whether one product sounds better than another to them and whether the cost to benefit ratio is satisfactory or not, albeit a personal matter for sure.

So I guess the rub is in their insistence that their scientific method is the only valid approach opposed to making a decision based on simple listening tests alone. I personally would not make a decision any other way. Why not just let each other make our own judgments with whatever method of comparison chosen.

I am certainly not opposed to folks voicing their opinions and findings (I am sure this is the reason most of us read Audiogon posts), but to insist that others are deceived, misspending their money, and acting irrationally is just plain unbecoming behavior in my estimation.
One reason blind (or double blind) testing is controversial is simply some folks won't admit that the $500 (or more, sometimes much more) cable they just bought doesn't sound any different from the cheaper brand.

Let's face it, the guy who says his jaw dropped when he installed his newest (and more expensive) piece of equipment, and then can't id that same piece when he can't see it is the reason blind testing has never been accepted.

I believe there are differences between some components, but not to the degree some people claim.

Although I have nice components, including all tube electronics, planar speakers, and listen more to vinyl than digital, I have never cared for spending hundreds or, in some cases, thousands of $$$ on cables, power conditioners, or power cables.

From all I've read, not one double blind test has ever given credibility to audible differences in cables.

What really gets on my nerves is someone who starts describing the differences he hears with components auditioned weeks or months apart. Sorry, our auditory memory usually doesn't last more than a few moments.

Jim