Cable vs. Electronics: biggest bang for the buck

I recently chronicled in a review here, my experience with a very expensive interconnect. The cables cost nearly $7000 and are well beyond my reach. The issue is, the Pursit Dominus sound fantastic. Nothing in my stereo has ever sounded so good. I have been wondering during and since the review how much I would have to spend to get the same level of improvement. I'm sure I could double the value of my amp or switch to monoblocks of my own amps and not obtain this level of improvement.
So, in your opinion what is the better value, assuming the relative value of your componants being about equal? Is it cheaper to buy, great cables or great electronics? Then, which would provide the biggest improvement?
128x128nrchy
Nrchy, at least you are on the right track now. The Krell is a big step up from what you were using. Now for the CDP.
Nrchy, I am not familiar with, the Krell sound but Krell desin always look cool to me. Man the dang thing look like a tank, huh. How heavy is it? Can you make some eggs omelet on it? ;-)
They are very heavy duty. The FPB 200 which is the smallest of the series weighs a fuzz over 100lbs. It is hard to get out of the box by yourself.
Krell has come up with some design changes that have helped with the heat issues. Even when being driven at a good pace I can put my hand on top of the amp. It's hot, but not too hot to keep my hand on.
Krell gets more heat from non-Krell audiophiles than it produces on it's own!
Nrchy, how about the sound? Non-Krell audiophiles? Like who? Sure not me! Those guys don't know zap. Well, I don't know much, neither. :-) But it's all opinion! Ask Twl, he will tell you how wide the different opinions are?! Ask Asa? Well... No, don't ask Asa, or he will tell you to convert to TUBES. Unless you want to convert to TUBES. But for me, turn on the power switch is a troublesome. Beside I happy with my system now? I don't want to move/change anything; the house is too heavy to change; and don't even want to change me, neither. ;-)

Oh, your cable, how is it sound?
TWL has told me to change to tubes also! I know everyone like different things. It just seems like for some reason there are a lot of snipers gunning for Krell. Plenty of people take pot shots at them over this issue or that.
In my opinion the FPB 200 amp sounds great. It is definately the best sounding amp I have ever owned. I have thought about doing a review. It is better than the Aragon I owned previously in every way concievable. Midrange treble and bass are all much improved. The soundstage is so much more defined. It's just better.
I'm not sure what you mean about the cable. I have a little mix of cables. Mostly Purist and Cardas, with a little Monster thrown in. I will replace the Monster once I buy new speakers. Speakers are a bigger priority.