Should I try a MC cartridge and phono pre?

I have an older turntable, Technics SL 1300 with a Grado Prestige Blue cartridge. Would a moving coil cartridge and a phono pre be a worthwile investment to try to improve the sound? Or do these belong in newer, more expensive gear?
Some suggestions please, if you think it's a good idea.
Thanks, Sonny
iseekheils
From my experience in modding my Technics 1200 I can tell you that isolation and power delivery are your main priorities.

I would construct a base, either a sand box http://www.tnt-audio.com or air platform. I use a Dennensen air platform. I strongly suggest you replace the stock power cord for a VenHaus shielded (and cryo'ed) wire w/ a cryo'ed plug. Also, I would buy a small ONEAC isolation transformer/filter (like an 1102) from eBay for $15-20. This will improve the strength of the music as well as low level information retrieval. How so? Although the 1300 does not have the quartz locked speed sensing/correction mechanism the newer models do, it still has one. The less noise and the more readily power is available, the more speed/rotational stability the platter will have.

I would not concern myself about using a MC. With direct drives like yours I don't think it's that critical. The deck has enough torque to plow through transients. I do have two cartridges: an Ortofon X5 (MC) and a KAB modded Stanton Groovemaster (MM). I am using the Stanton and don't miss the MC at all.

You have not stated what your source equipment is, so I don't know if you have a receiver or a preamp. The most logical course of action for me would be to add a cryo'ed outlet and good filtration to your receiver/pre/whatever. That will automatically lower noise floor and add low level resolution, bringing out more music...
I still say try it and see if you like it and stop worrying about what everyone else thinks.
Psychicanimal, Just to let you know, I'm using an SAE MK IX
preamp into a Marantz model 250 (until I get the Phase Linear 400 upgraded). Thanks for the info.
Rwwear, I feel like I'm being baited here, but the plan IS to try IT, as soon as I know what IT is. I thought that's what these forums were all about??? Still looking for a possible MC phono pre suggestion, got any ideas?
Sonny
If you have a phono stage now that works with a moving magnet cartridge, it will work with a high output moving coil. But, I prefer low output models and they require a lot of gain that would be too expensive just to experiment with.
Iseekheils,

I agree with Rwwwear that a high output MC is kind of pointless. They give away the biggest advantage of MCs, low moving mass, which improves responsiveness, tracing accuracy and detail retrieval.

If you *do* decide to try a low output MC, many of us prefer to use a stepup transformer into a MM phono stage rather than a high gain MC phono stage. Some of the very best systems used by members here are set up this way, and mine is too! :)

The K&K stepup is available on VA for $200ish, and is quite well regarded. There are others too of course, mostly more expensive. You could try this without investing in an expensive MC phono stage, and sell it pretty easily if you decided to take another path. Does that help?

BTW, glad to see you're upgrading the PL400. Make sure you change all the caps. Like so many others, mine shorted out many years ago and took the speakers with them. I've still got the thing in the basement if you want it for spares. Also the 4000 pre.