Silver DIY Interconnects

Hi!
I got some 0.6mm silver wire and wan't to make some interconnects. What recipee/s is/are the best based on your experiences?
david_d
Capacitance of 45 pF/foot is a bit high IME. I prefer wires with 3-4 pF/foot. The detail is much better on ALL systems. However, low capacitance is not by itself sufficient. To make a world-class cable, you also need good metallurgy (as Sean mentioned) and bare wires - no conformal insulation.
Audioengr: I see that you are basically in the "air dielectric" camp, huh ??? While i have no problem with that, how does one go about maintaining a consistent impedance with such a design let alone minimize the potential for cables short circuiting themselves ? Sean
>
Sean - impedance is not a problem with analog interconnects. The digital IC's obviously need controlled impedance and I accomplish this using a combination of air dielectrics and expanded Teflon - a patented design. 75 ohms is very difficult to achieve with bare wires and air dielectrics - the wires would have to be extremely close. The short-circuiting thing with bare-wire analog interconnects is what my business is all about. I have spent the last 10 years solving this and getting patents.

Hi!
Great "Job" done, Sean! Thanks for mucho info and a oportunity for us to learn.
Keep it coming...

Greetings,
David.
Audioengr: I can't say that i have access to the same equipment that you do or the experience that you have designing / testing cabling, but i would think that impedance bumps and the resultant non-linear propagation that results might be something that one might consider important if seeking to build the "holy grail" of audio cables. Is this not as big of a factor as i might believe ? If it is not, then the advantages that i've given to manufacturers in terms of having more consistent production / repeatable designs has been completely negated.

If that is the case, the only differences between a DIY and professionally built cable would be of the quality of parts used. As such, i am even further inclined to encourage others to experiment with DIY based cables using high grade materials. Based on your above comments, there isn't much to be gained by spending more money on professionally prepared versions of similar design / geometry if one were to use an equivalent grade of parts. Sean
>