Why Expensive power Cables when Romex behind Wall?

Could somebody please help me to shed light on this?
Is there any reason I should invest in expensive power cables when there's low grade cable between my outlet and the wall? I've upgraded most other components in my systems, but I'm just not sure that spending several hundred dollars for power cables makes sense, when the cable running from my outlet to the wall costs less than $.10 per foot. Can anyone shed light on this?

Thanks!
boros
Sdcampbell, being an Audiogon member that has always read your posts during the last two years ( I began in 1999), I am surprised by your comments.

You built your system with quality audiophile gear and yet you report that power cords provide very little if any improvement in your system.

This completely baffles me, as my results are so opposite from yours. You may have read about the extremes I have gone to make my electrical system the best it can be. Including but not limited to: Private transformer, 220 Volt three phase electrical drop, 750 Amp commercial bypass meter box, 16 dedicated runs exclusive to the stereo, separation of phase between digital and analog, and dedicated 12 gauge copper star grounding for each component.

With all this work, I cannot imagine music without a high quality power cord. I choose Purist Dominus power cords for my system, and the effect is so drastic, that an entire room of people laugh out loud when a stock cord is substituted. The difference is literally that big.

Do I remember you live outside of the USA? Maybe that is part of our different results.
It's true that some components are designed to be invariant of the power-line voltage. Some Linn equipment is like this, particularly when switching power supplies are used. However, in most amps, the linear power supply is not even regulated, and the capacitor bank is not infinite and the inductance from the cap bank to the output transistors is not zero, so they are sensitive to the line voltage, particualrly during high-current high-frequency transients.
I heard a rumor that the infamous Robert Lee @ Acoustic Zen is coming out with an inwall a/c powercable made of his Zero Crystal Copper to address this specific issue. I can't wait to try out some of that stuff.
Ok, here is my current thought train on this; Yes, I agree that I would not want to be "hooked up" in a hospital with lamp cord and a $1.49 plug. Fortunately for me, none of my gear came with such low grade pcs. I truly doubt that when Nelson Pass sits down to design military grade circuit boards for my equipment, that he is going to cut corners on the pc. I don't think top notch designers put cheap pcs on $3k+ amps or preamps, why would they? Sure, mid-fi and lower does not go to extremes, but then you are not paying the arm and a leg in the price for those extremes. So where do I think money would be well spent as far as power goes? Drop a dedicated line from your breaker box to your gear. Get a quality 20 amp breaker (hospital rated) and use hospital rated romex, carefully run the line without staples or cable nailers to your location, and then use a hospital grade outlet(s). I really can't imagine anything better than this other than buying a power rectifying device (PS audio, Threshold), which would nullify the need to do this providing it has the capacity to meet the demand placed on it. If you buy a power supply that is not big enough for the demand, you have gained nothing. The dedicated outlet is a LOT less expensive, but would not provide all the benifits that a well designed power plant would provide. In MHO, I would keep the pc's that came with good equipment, and do one or the other properly depending on your budget. If they want to use the pc off my Threshold gear on me at the hospital, I have no problem with that. Tom
Hi Meby,
You are mostly correct, as that is one of the concerns providing it is being plugged into a hospital grade outlet, that it will not arc. If you do not plug it into a well designed outlet, it still could. The other design approach is to limit the possibility of a short because wires can not come in contact with each other unless the cable is completely torn from the plug, and by then it wouldn't be live anyway (providing it was wired properly). Hospital grade really means nothing more than very well designed. Tom