Heavy Kit / Power Supply upgrade for Nottingham?

I have been so happy with my new Nottingham Spacedeck that I am contemplating the Heavy Kit and Power Supply upgrade. If I had known how well the Nottingham would work in my system I would have bought the Hyperspace. (had no way to audition Nottingham TTs so bought it based on what I had read) The upgrades are a bit pricey but after 3 months with the Spacedeck, I don't think I will be putting any more money in digital for some time. The Spacedeck is way more fun than my old ARC transport / DAC 1 which I let go.

My system is comprised of the following components which were purchased used over the last few years, except for the Nottingham:

ARC PH2 phonostage
ARC Ref 1 Preamp
Soundlab Dynastat Speakers
2 Golden Tube Audio SE-40s vertically bi-amped.

I am torn between upgrading the GTA amplifiers to Rogue M-120 monoblocks or doing the turntable upgrade. My listening room is small and don't really feel the need for more power but I think I need balanced in amps to take full advantage of the ARC Ref 1.

So do I do the turntable upgrade first or the amp upgrade? I can audition the Rogue monoblocks in my system but not the Spacedeck upgrades. The Spacedeck upgrade would be a leap of faith. (but then so was the Spacedeck purchase) Any ideas?

vannorm
If you're mainly considering a high performance platter mat, take a look at the Boston Design's Mat 1.
My experience to date on several other decks has been very positive.I suspect it would be an excellent adjunct to a Spacedeck.
Unlike other mats I've tried,it doesn't alter the spectral balance nor destroy pace and flow, upping fine resolution and detail but without hifi artifice.msrp US$195.

http://www.boston-audio.com/
4yanx and I exchanged some e-mails about the Mystic Mat, hoping we could somehow still get one direct at a cheaper price (NO!). He went with the Boston mat, so maybe he'll be able to comment on its performance with the Spacedeck.
I have the Mat-1 on a Spacedeck and I love it. I also tried it on my buddy's Interspace with the same results. Improves dynamics and focus and just makes the whole presentation more involving.

Oz
Vannorm, since you've already got the Spacedeck as the base for your LP playback, those upgrades (mat and ps) will make significant improvements to the sound quality of your LP playback, provided the rest of your system is up to the task. Although the Dynastat is a hybrid design requiring min 50w, almost all panel spks benefit from higher power. I feel that the amp upgrade is therefore the path to choose.

I've no idea how much the Nottingham upgrade cost, but adding a mat upgrade won't break the bank and will certainly reduce unwanted resonances. My experience with the Mystic Mat was tantamount to a complete upgrade of the platter. YMMV.

4yanx, can you comment on how the Mat 1 compares with the Mystic Mat?

Ken
As it happens, given events of the past three days, I can address your request, Ken.

I will qualify all of my comments because I believe that the effect of any of these additions will be dependent on your specific setup (table/arm/cartridge). I speak from the experience of using these with Spacedeck/OL Illustrious/Shelter MkII.

First, I have had occasion to hear the Spacedeck with and without the "Heavyweight". My analogy is that the Spacedeck, in original configuration, is like Ali while, with the "Heavyweight", it is like Liston. Hopefully, ya'll are old enough to appreciate the comparison. Fer dem dat ain't, I found the "HW" stunted the quick, fluid, and rich sound to which I had become accustomed with the original platter, etc. IMHO, a waste of good money that one could spend much more effectively elsewhere.

I bought a Mat1 after reading carefully the website and being impressed with the detail and "philosophy" there provided. I was less than impressed with the "fit and finish" of the mat I received, particularly in light of the website's emphasis on tolerances and quality control. Mine had some grooving (a bit strong to call it gouging) on the underside. The upper side showed clear signs of overlapping finish coat application. As a former apprentice to my master craftsman grandfather, I am more than picky in that regard. But, it would not have left his shop without being classified as a second with an appropriate price reduction. I have heard from others that they have, in fact, obtained "seconds" of these mats for a substantial discount. I paid full price. Unless I received a second by mistake, I'd not wish to view other seconds. I am in contact with the "maker" but have as yet failed to achieve resolution.

To be fair, the PERFORMANCE of the Mat1 belies its appearance. It obliterates the original foam mat and easily bests the Ringmat I had laying around. I realized a better level of detail AND dynamics but I did not lose "PRAT" (everyone's definition is different) like I did with the Ringmat.

Three days ago a friend who owes me a favor brought over the Mystic Mat he purchased. I refused to pay the dough for the Mystic Mat for a variety of reasons that I will not detail. In comparison, I like the Mystic Mat better than the Mat1. The Mystic Mat provided an improvement that is hard for me to describe. For one, I found that it smoothed out the ever so slight sharpness of attack that I have heard with some other mats (and, yes, I allowed for VTA changes). The sound when using the Mystic was rather suspended in air, for lack of a better term, Kinda like when you hear something through a very good tube system, as opposed to a so-so tube system. If they weren't so damn expensive and I could overcome my personal issues with the distributor, I'd probably buy one. Oh yeah, the MM is designed to be used with a record clamp. It comes with the Michell basic clamp. There is a further improvement on the butt end of things when using the clamp, much to my amazement.

Anyway, I've blathered on too long and said little. Try different mats and keep the one that sounds best in your rig.

David