Who will survive? One last table til I die.

I want to buy a final turntable (call it 25 years worth of use until I can't hear or don't care). I want to be able to get parts and have it repaired for the next quarter century. I would also like the sound quality to be near the top or upgradable to near the top for that time period. I don't necessarily require that the manufacturer be solvent that long (the preferable situation), but otherwise the parts would have to be readily available and the design such that competent independent repair shops be able to fix it. I won't spend more than $10,000 and prefer (but don't require) an easy set up that doesn't need constant tweaking. I'm willing to pay for the proper stand and isolation needed over and above the initial cost.

I've got 9,000 LPs, and it doesn't make sense to start over replacing them with CD/SACDs (although I have decent digital equipment) even if I could find and afford replacements. Presently I have a CAT SL-1 III preamp and JL-2 amp, Wilson speakers, Sota Cosmos table, SME IV arm, and Koetsu/Lyra Clavis/AQ7000nsx cartridges.

Thanks in advance for your input. Steve
suttlaw
I hope this puts an end to this discussion. "...Gregadd,this is not how it measure it is that any one can hear that big mistakes. The output impedance in the tubes amplifiers, usually, goes from 0.5 to 3 OHms ( high one ) and the output impedance in the SS goes from 0.02 to 0.5 OHms ( very low one. That's is one of the parameters why the SS has a high damping factor ). This is the point and the problem on the subject and you can hear it ( any one )."
Raul this is from an earlier post by you. The audioholics does not agree with your conclusion that a tube amp is an ucorrectable equalizer. In fact what they say is,any non zero impedance signal source can affect frequency reponse. Your own admission verifies that an ss amp is not a zero impedance source. They go on to say that as little as +/-.1 db can be audible. However they do not say it is uncorrectable. Or that because of this tubes amps are unacceptable equalizers or inherently inferior to ss.
For a discussion of this issue and how to solve it, See,http://www.transcendentsound.com/amplifier_output_impedance.htm

MERRY CCHRISTMAS
Dear Gregadd: ***" I hope this puts an end to this discussion. " ****.

Sorry but is not possible. I can see that you are a little
confused.
I don't have time at this moment. Stay tunned. This subject is really important in the anolog sound reproduction.
regards and enjoy the music.
Raul.
Dear Gregadd and friends: ****" Raul this is from an earlier post by you. The audioholics does not agree with your conclusion that a tube amp is an ucorrectable equalizer. "*****

They don't disagree too, right?. But this is not the point, the point is that till today does not exist any tube amplifier with very low output impedance. That's why a tube amplifier change the frecuency response with the changes that has the speaker. Now, in and SS amplifier that changes can be of a very low order: 0.1 db to 0.3 db, but in a tube amplifier that changes are really high ones deviations from the original: 0.5 to 10db or more. This is a heavy degradation. Take the TWL amplifier that has an output impedance of 1.8 Ohms, this one will had a deviation between 1.0 to 2.5 db: unacceptable by any standard.

TWL post this: ****" To me, the key here is not whether there may be some slight affects to the amplifer based on speaker reactances, but whether these small effects could even be actually audible, given wider range tolerances in many other parts of the sytem context. "****

Dear TWL, first there are not " slight effects " ( ****" , As amplifier output impedance rises, these differences in frequency response are exaggerated. The changing speaker impedance actually pushes the output voltage of the amplifier around thereby changing the acoustic output of the speaker. The amplifier cannot control its own output. "**** This comes from the Gregadd link. ), in the case of tube electronics it is a heavy effects ( degradation and always audible by anyone, but a deaf. ) ), second: what are you telling us? that because there are other wider range effects in other parts of the audio system, these ones does not matters?. Example: assume that the discrete frecuency response at 100 Hz of a speaker has a deviation of -10 db and that the effect of the tube amplifier is -3 db at that discrete frecuency: TWL, till today 10+3 sum: 13 ( I know that the sum of db it will be a logarithymic sum ) and you try to telling that it does not matters?, come on TWL.

Now, the tube amplifier degradation to the signal is worst than what Stereophile shows in the diagrams, why?, because Norton/Atkinson use a constant resistance at the amplifier outputs, normally a 8, 4 and 2 Ohms resistors. This is very gentle for the tube amplifier and far from reallity, because the impedance of the speaker is not constant it has heavy variations with the frecuency response in all the frecuency spectrum, and you can check this too through the Stereophile tests on speakers,: can you imagine other worst degradation on the signal reproduction in a high end audio system and that that degradation can hear it?

This is one of the reasons why I always speak of " equalizers " in reference to tube electronics. The real name has to be: UNCONTROLLABLE EQUALIZERS.

It is already clear that the tube electronics goes against the music reproduction, and till now anyone can do nothing for to change it. This is the point: AGAINST THE MUSIC REPRODUCTION.

All these statements are for the people that really cares about. Ask you what are you hearing from a tube electronics in front of live music.

In this analog forum all of us are trying to obtain the best from our analog system: phono preamp, phono cartridge, tonearm, turntable, phono cables, etc.... Here we are talking to do the very best for our analog system: VTA, VTF, Azymuth, cartridge load impedance, resonnce frecuency on the cartridge/tonearm combo, metal platter or acrylic one, MC or MM cartridges, pivot or linear traking tonearms, air bearings, mass, etc..... We do all this job ( time, money, know-how,..) trying to obtain the best analog music reproduction, and for what if in the next audio system link: UNCONTROLLABLE EQUALIZERS ( tube electronics ), all our efforts goes dead-down.

That's why I always speak to be sure that exist the LESS degraded effects at any link in the whole audio system, and why any one that has these UE does not knows the real performance of his audio system.

Regards and always enjoy the music.
Raul.
Dear TWL: This is what you post against me in this thread: ****" I actually think that you know very little about audio. " **** and

****" I'd suggest quite a bit more study before engaging any serious audiophiles here again. " ****.

I think that all of us ( including you and Chris ) now are more knowledge about. Don't you think?.

Rushton, as you can see the OTL is no solution: it's worst.

Gregadd, tks for your info .

Regards and enjoy the music.
Raul.