Best Sounding Portable CD Players???

I just bought a used Headroom Cosmic headphone amp with the BaseStation power supply upgrade through an auction here on Audiogon. I am looking for advice on the best sounding portable cd players out there to replace my 10 year old Sony. I will be using Sennheiser 580s with this setup. Headroom recommends the Panasonic SL-SX460, and I remember reading something in Sensible Sound a while ago about a good Optimus unit, but that's all I know about portables. Any advice out there on portables I should listen to?
hifiguy
The portable you probably heard of is the Optimus CD-3400. The other only superior CD portables soundwise are the ironclad Denon DCP-100 and DCP-150. Do note that all of these are discontinued, but you might have luck looking around for some.
panasonic slp1a is nice for a portable, but these are no longer made, & i'd imagine they're pretty beat by now. not familiar w/the later replacement models... the optimus 3400 offered digital outs, which is why they were so sought-after, but, again, good luck finding one that still operates well. anyone know of another portable w/digital outs? i could never find one... doug
I used to have an slp1a, and I thought it sounded much better than most portables. I currently have a panasonic sl-870SW (I can actually jog with this player !). It's just OK sonically. I also have the sony d-335, and 465. The 465 does have a digital output. The 335 is the best sounding followed closely by the 465.