Can POWER CORDS really make that big a difference?

Can a power cord really make an audible difference in a system? I have heard it does, but I have not spent the money to upgrade yet. Any suggestions would be appreciated! I was looking at NBS cords. I am relatively new to the hi-end game so I am trying to draw on your knowledge. Thanks for your time.
lockss
It seems over the years of spending much time and money on very expensive accessories such as exotic power cords and cabling, you hear what you want, or hope to hear, to justify the decisions made. This is not to say lamp cord wire is adequate on a high end systems, but how we justify big dollar items spent and convince others to follow along, so we feel better. Hey,why let someone enjoy chocolate, when fudge is better.
Why is it that every darn thread on power cords there has to be someone who has to voice an opinion that they are clearly a waste of money? If you don't think it works or you think it's a waste of money "DON'T FREAKING BUY IT." Some of us can tell a difference which makes it a worthwhile investment. If this were not true in the path of the audio upgrade we all be listening to Goldstar radios from K-Mart because "THERE WOULD BE NO SONIC GAIN".

Lockss,
I strongly agree with Sean, Garfish and Lakefrontroad. Buy an inexpensive cord such as a Synergistic Research Master Coupler here on Agon for around $150.00 and see for yourself. If you don't like it you can easily re-sell it and try something else, however your best bet is to contact the cable company. These are what I am currently using and they do make a big difference.
If your just entering this realm then I would urge you to buy harmonic technology power cords they are simply amazing and the price is very cheap. They help but as stated above if your equipment isnt up to par then its a waste of cash.I have a couple of power cords that will turn your head in six directions when you plug it in. let me know If I can be of any help? Good Luck
Power cords doesn't seem very important ten years ago.... is it because of industrialization and digitization? My old set up when I was in grade school thru high school sounds fine to me without mega buck cords.

CD players are also very picky with the ac they're fed....geez
Viggen, it's like anything else. The more involved that you get in any project, the more you can find that is either blatantly "wrong" or could simply use a little improvement. As such, a system can perform very well with stock cords but that is not to say that it won't perform better with other cords. As i stated previously though, the opposite can also be true. Due to differences in design and compatability, you can also take a step backwards if you're not careful.

For those that think of the power cord as an extension of the AC wiring, it is no wonder that you doubt that it can make a noticeable difference. BUT, what if you thought of it as an extension of the power supply ? After all, that is exactly what it is.

Wouldn't it be possible to add various types of shielding, ferrites, capacitors, inductors or other means of impedance manipulation in order to design some type of "tuned trap" or "filter" ? In turn, couldn't you place this trap or filter PRIOR to the power supply inside the component, therefore minimizing the "trash" that makes it into the component in the first place ?

Well, that is EXACTLY what is taking place in SOME ( very few that i've seen ) aftermarket power cords. While the "components" of the power cord that achieve these results may not be in a separate box like those of a PLC ( Power Line Conditoner aka "power line filter" ), that does not mean that it won't work. The benefits to designs of this type that are well thought out are that they are not current limiting or creating as much of a phase shift. While it is true that their slope rate or "filter action" may not be anywhere near as severe or sharp as that of a larger tuned circuit in a seperate box, it might be all that you would need to get rid of the electrical and RFI hash that is riding the AC mains in your area.

If you doubt that the AC mains have noise on them, i HIGHLY urge you to beg, borrow or steal ( only joking about stealing ) an Audioprism AC Line Noise Sniffer. Plug it directly into the wall and listen to the roaring hash that comes out of the speaker. Then plug the Noise Sniffer into any "reasonable" PLC ( power line conditioner ) and listen to the difference. The noise should pretty much disappear or at least be massively subdued. You can also hear the benefits of parallel line filters like the Audioprism Quiet Lines or "homebrew" designs like those that Magnan suggests. These are simply plugged into other outlets in the building and left alone. Even though they are not in series with the gear ( unlike the "tuned" power cords that are in direct contact ), you can still, very evidently, hear the effect that they have on the noise level from the wall.

I have yet to meet ONE "skeptic" that could deny the benefits of AC line conditioning / filtering after experiencing a test like this first hand. Sean
>