Save a vinyl newbie, please

I've been stocking up on LP's for the past month and a half, and I finally got a turntable yesterday (a new Music Hall MMF-5). When I picked it up, the guy had it playing and it sounded great! He showed me how to set the tracking force, vertical tracking angle, the cartridge angle (or something like that), and the anti-skating force. He also gave me some suggestions of how to clean the records and the stylus before use. OK, perfect.

I brought it home and tried some of my records on it. It sounded horrible! I get loud pops every second or two. The pops drown out the music. The music sounds muffled, and sometimes it sounds like the ocean from the tweeters (particularly in the right channel). The situation only gets worse with the volume turned up.

I tried it with several of my best-looking LP's last night and still couldn't find one that was even listenable. I have a couple sealed records, so this morning I tried them with the same results. I called the place where I bought it and he said that only about 10% of records that I'll find actually sound good. That sounds like a good incentive to go back to CD's.

I'm using the MMF-5 with a Musical Fidelity A3cr preamp, Audio Valve ppp45 amps, and Audio Physic Tempo speakers. (You can click on my system for more details.)

Please let me know if you have any suggestions!

Michael
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xsufentanil
if your getting pops...that means your stylus is mistracking....set the arm and counter wait to zero again and also the azimuth to o...and now set up tuntable again as the guy showed you at the store...also check the make sure all the connections on the cartridge are not loose....the muffled sound is called wow/flutter...that means your cart is mistracking and most likely needs proper alignment with arm,azimuth ,height. dont give up on lp's just yet....ones you get your tt just right...you will never want to listen to cd's again.
can't believe that the guy you bought the table from said only 10% of records you'll buy will sound good. god, what a jerk! ok, so here goes...do everything everyone else here has already suggested. clean them records good...find out how. either here or audio asylum...means either buying a good cleaning maching(my recommendation) or using the disc doctor system. anything less than these suggestions and you've got challenges. also, make sure that your stylus is clean. get a good cleaner for that. either extremephono stylus cleaner, disc doctor, or last. all kinds of junk can get on it, even after you clean the records reallyh well. make sure everyting is level. get a bubble level from any hardware store. and yeah, make sure that the cart is in right, aligned, tracking force and tracking angle are good. again, check in at audioasylum.com, go the vinyl area, do some searches, and you'll learn a lot. you have a very good table. assuming the cart is good, it is capable of great things. i own the mmf-7, the next one up, and love it madly. if you want to put up with the inital roadwork, you'll be rewarded. if not, there's always the digital solution.
good luck!
Until you get it right, lay off playing your best lps. No use having to replace them due to permanent damage.
Post removed