Against everything that high end cables stand for

I just received a pair of Michael Green speaker cables. 10 ft pairs, $2 ft, totaL cost $40. They are unterminated bare wire and appear to be 3 twisted solid core 20 gauge wires. I spoke with an employee of MGD and he stated that they do not recommend terminations of cables as the spades, and required solder only serve to add more colouration. My impressions from 2 hours of initial listening, is that vs other wires Ive tried, it trounced my Yamamura m4000 and PAD cables in every area except bass definition. I will give them further listening this eve, but MGD has these theories that make logical sense (Tuneable Speaker, Room Treatments, Clamping Components, Racks etc) which to the T so far have resulted in sonic superiority and improvement.
128x128justlisten
Bravo, Herman, Bravo !!!! Thank you for an honest and accurate appraisal that just so happens to agree with my personal point of view : )

The "synergy" that Derrick "stumbled" upon is no mistake. He is using cables, speakers, racks and room treatments from the same manufacturer. Obviously, a "total system approach" has a lot of benefits to it. Sean
>
Actually, for the record, from my experiences with some of the newer 6/9's copper(or better???...) wire that now seems to be more the norm in calbes that are coming out now, you don't really need to terminate these cables like you used to!!! It appears the the higher purity copper wire,like the high purity 99.999999% stuff, doesn't really oxidize!!!..for any practical purposes. The problem with oxidization on the old cables and wires, was that the crud and impurities in the wire were what corroded and oxydized! The newer 6/9's type coppers, for instance, are 100X's(or 1000,I forget) more pure than the old stuff, and there for don't degrade!
In fact, I have some home made 6/9's copper speaker terminal jumpers that I use that are absolutely mint looking!....not a hint of oxydizing! They also sound as good as day one(a few months old). I also have a pair of older jumpers, made from older OFC copper speaker wires, that oxydized really really quickly!...I don't use em any more.
I also have a budy who used the Harmonic Tech Pro 9 speaker wires, that use the 6/9's copper, which were missing spades on some ends, just connected bare wire. They were on his system like that for at least a couple of years that way, and not a sign of oxydization anywhere!
So, My theory is that, if the guy recommended just bar wire, and the wire is high purity stuff, he probably will do just fine if he tightens em down good. Also, the higher purity copper cables may just be a better sound over all than his older cables!...maybe.
Yes, then again, the system may or may not be capable of revealing that much of the benefits of better cables, and needs some upgrading or help..who knows.
But, I did pick up some 6/9's copper spool wire the other day that sounds better than a lot of much more expensive older high end cables I used to use!...so it's all possible I guess. You just gotta play around with this stuff to find out I guess. However, I don't think that I would ever ever use any speaker wires and cables that didn't have at least 6/9's copper or silver in it!(there's also 7/9's sivler) They probably sound better for one, and I don't think I'll have to wory about oxidizing any time soon!
Avdcreations
My Dear Msnloeth, I can hear the difference between many different cables. I stated my belief that cables do indeed make a difference in my previous post.

My point is that the equation "more expensive = sounds better" is not always true. I have auditioned expensive cables in my system that sounded like crap and much cheaper cables that sounded very nice. These same cables could give the opposite result in another system.

Those that believe the only way to achieve audio nirvana is to buy the most expensive components they can afford are far less likely to suceed than those who seek to find a system of synergistic components no matter what they cost. I hope for your sake that you are not a member of the first group.

By the way, I have read many posts by Sean but have just now realized how wise he is. I think I'll go listen to a record on my $30,000 worth of components wired together with $500 worth of cables. Ahhhhhhhhhhh, that sounds great.
Sean

the wire are 3 twisted runs of cable (the wire is silver) for each lead. So there are 4 runs of 3 twisted wires. I in no way meant this thread to be a plug for MGD or to suggest that I am trying to skimp on costs in my system. I was buying a MGD rack and a person their Mark suggested I try these $40 cables. I did, as I figure if they sucked, it would be worth an evenings worth of entertainment for $40. As it turns out, it will pay off, as I am putting my Yamamura 4000s up for sale. Sean you are also spot on on your description of the sound, the bass actually isnt bad at all, the only reason why I thought it may lack is I played a track from the Annie Lennox "Diva" cd, THE GIFT, and my room didnt reverberate as it usualy does during the bass notes. Overall, the bass in the MgDs have tempo to it. This isnt meant to create a cable debate, but to give listenters out there a chance to try some cables that may do wonders all for less than the price dinner and a movie.