Best used DAC 500 or less, need help

OK, I want to get a DAC. I really know next-to-nothing about 'em, but I think I need one. I would love to buy the Wadia that I heard at Music Lovers, but my gardeners income precludes that. My comfort zone is $500 or less. What does your experience tell? Thank You, Martin
truthrider
Hello, You might try an Adcom 700,MSB PS-1{Mark Brassfield, a single-ended Timbre DAC or a used Birdland{$1000 new}.Happy hunting and don't skimp on the digital cable {Mapleshade,Silent Source}.
Enlightened Audio designs 7000 Mark III is very musical you won't do better for $500
Check out a Meridian 263 or 563. You can get the first for well under 500 - just as important is the cable. Illuminati D60 is excellent and used by many but there are other good ones to...
How about a DAC that sounds just as good as the Wadia? Believe it or not, a Stan Warren modified MSB will do just that! Currently there are over a dozen audiophiles in the US using Stan Warren digital front ends in $30k+ systems. These guys (and myself) could spend much more on digital, but we've found it very hard to get better sound than Stan Warren's modified gear. I think that many audiophiles don't take his work seriously becuase its so damn inexpensive.