Is SACD really this lousy?

Bought a Sony SCD 1 and this is boring me in my system. Have had it for 2 weeks and just cannot get interested. Previously I had a CAL CL2o and we were astounded by how the DVD DAD's sounded-fall into the soundstage, reach out and touch the performers. Also the dynamic range used every bit of the VTL's 275 watts into the Maggies. The 44/16 side of the CL20 was at best lukewarm. This after coming off a Meridian 508 20. Then I tried the Wadia 270/27ix. In my system, all the write ups were proven wrong. Then I went to the Linn Ikemi. It was great except I couldn't forget that sound of the DVD's with the CL20. Sooooo....off I went to get the Sony SCD 1. I don't have a dealer here but trusted it wouldn't dissappoint. WRONNNG! I called Steve Huntley at Great Northern Sound to see if he could do anything. He said it was a great player, it's just that Sony missed the boat when it came to the analog section. He is in fact drawing up a mod to deal with this very thing that he says will approach the Accuphase. That however will cost anywhere from $1500 roonies for the SACD side to $3500 for both. Anybody have any comment on this or am I the only one experiencing disappointment?
jmazur402f
Ok, I was hoping to get some insight into this "new" technology from audio enthusiasts who have actually listened to the product. Instead I'm getting the same old analogue vs. digital argument. I have nothing against lps, in fact I have heard some great set-ups that far surpass my digital front-end. From a convenience standpoint, CD and its newer incarnations are the way to go - no scratches, no flipping, no handling with gloves - and CD's are smaller too. Kinda why laserdisc never really took off yet DVD has. Now all that aside, I guess there can be a stubborness not to accept anything "new", especially after you've spent a considerable amount of time and $$$ on you current set-up. But David99, please don't comment on that which you have not heard and be so closed minded that you won't give it a chance - it simply doesn't add value to the original thread. I get a vision of some parent from the 60's saying sarcasticaly how Rock-n-Roll isn't MUSIC just noise and that there hasn't been a REAL musician since Sinatra! So, go out an listen to it you might be surprised. I haven't hear it but would love to read some more comments from people who HAVE!
Carl; Yeah I use a SF Line 2-- very neutral but with body. I like the additive effect of tubes. The high-end IS expensive. My overall strategy has been to get the best possible digital playback I can afford. (I think I'm there). The ML 360S DAC (especially) provided a really nice improvement in music quality/character. It's as if Diana Krall, Margo Timmins, and Natalie Cole are actually in my room. You've spoken so highly about the CD-50 that I really would lke to hear it, but as you can see, I'm pretty well committed to the system I have. Thanks for asking. Craig
Garfish,I have a job too!!(darn) But I love music enough to find time to get all I can out of it and find it fun also.I have mentioned else where that anyone can go around the corner and buy a CD / SACD player.Go buy a CD put it in and push a button.VERY EASY AND CONVENIENT,but it takes talent and time to get the best music has to offer.the man who started this post said he is not happy with the latest digital format.He asked for suggestions.I said if you want analog sound just like every true audiophile then go with a true analog format.I gave my suggestion,OK? Hey Carl! Where the HELL ya been while I've been being beat up here?? I'm getting impatient on news of your new toy!!!
I posted earlier on 7-05, that I hoped SACD would be wonderful, and I really meant it. I did not post comments revealing that I have in fact heard the format, although not in my own system. The CES in Vegas had at least two rooms with SACD, because I listened in both. One room was hosted by invitation with a joint venture between Phillips and Sony. They had, in addition to SACD, some master digital tapes in 2" format, and a lot of pro gear. I was not impressed, and neither was the reviewer from Absolute Sound that was listening room to room with me. This does not solve the question if SACD is good or not. I will not say that such a test is absolutely valid, as CES show conditions are poor. I will say that the set up Sony did is probably every bit as good as many high end audio dealers provide for their customers. From that standpoint, it is not off to a great start. I personally wish it would beat vinyl and that there were already a hundred thousand titles in print. However wishing and reality are two different things. The earlier posting about Betamax is scary, as that was a absolutely superior format to VHS, and Sony was the company behind Betamax too. If Sony does not resolve the issues of availability and cost of SACD software, this will wind up an expensive failure. The last project between Phillips and Sony, you may not remember. It was the DAC no, not digital audio converter, but digital audio cassette. It came to CES with a big bang, promised a library larger than CD and standard cassette, and everyone was pumped about it. They managed to sell a few, then it just went away. I was neither for or against it's success, I simply waited to see what was going to happen before I invested in it. I think SACD has a much better chance, as the format has much more appeal than digital cassette. Unfortunately, only time will tell.
Sorry,I missed one.Tryhoss? why do you assume I havent heard a SACD set up?? Well as a matter of fact I have a close friend that has the very same one this man is disappointed with.My opinion of the SCD-1 is it sounds like a mid priced CD player.My friend thinks its awesome but always wants to come to my house for some vinyl.He thinks my system sounds awesome also but spends more time in front of mine than his.He has never said mine sounds better but actions speak louder than words.Besides read the other posts.For the most part SACD is just another marketing ploy.And please dont ask me not to respond to questons on this site if I havent heard a product.You said your self you havent heard it,so why are YOU here??