SACD finally taking-off? non-classical listeners

It looks like SACD might finally lift-off this fall with the Rolling Stones releases. The engineer claims the SACD revisions sound 40% better than the standard on these hybrids.(Ice Magazine)
Meanwhile, there are some interesting releases on DVD-A that are too interesting to forego; Fleetwood Mac "Rumours", and "Crowded House". Both redbook versions of these discs are non-listenable with good equipment.
What is the answer for a "2-Channel Person" who wants great sound without the "snap, crackle, and pop" of the LP?
Is there confidence that both of these formats will exist in two years?
Is the purchase of a dual SACD/DVD-A player foolish, or the only answer?

Please advise,
CB
cbucki
Newton: I seem to recall some early concerns about the quality of adhesives used in CDs or something, but that was a long time ago. I've got CDs that old or older, and they're fine. Old news, my friend.

As for SACD, it will not "arrive" until Britney's *next* album appears simultaneously on CD and SACD. Don't hold your breath.
My comments about CD being around for a long time was referring to continued production for the millions who own the hardware to play them. I was not referring to the archival qualities of the format.
I have some early CD's issued in 1983, and they still look and play fine (though they don't sound particularly good in retrospect!).
VINYL IS FINAL. WHO CARES ABOUT THE DIGITAL WARS AND THE FORMAT OF THE MONTH.THE ONLY REASON DIGITAL TOOK OFF IS BECAUSE OF MARKETING,MALPRACTICE AND MENOPAUSE.YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN,AND LAZINESS TOO.IT STILL BRINGS TEARS TO MY EYEYS THAT THEY FOOLED SO MANY PEOPLE,THE SAME ONES WHO STILL THINK BOSE ARE THE BEST SPEAKERS.OH BY THE WAY, I SAW BAD COMPANY IN CONCERT MONDAY NIGHT IN THE BEACON THEATRE, N.Y.C. THET WERE FANTASTIC AND PAUL RODGERS IS THE MAN.