ASIO/ JRiver versus Windows Media

I have both and I think media player has a more forward sound more presence/midrange and ASIO/J River is more laid back in the midrange. I was wondering if you guys have any other observations that could be useful. I dont compress any audio I rip Lossless and I cant just use one or the other depending on the artist and I have found live albums sound better with windows so please leave your thoughts on this or a way around this. Thanks A-gon community!
jayb77
I'm running JRiver / WASAPI (FLAC only) through an M2tech HiFace (connected to one of my computers USB out's) into an MHDT Havana DAC into and ARC LS17 preamp, into a Sandersound ESL amp, into my Quad 63's. Personally, I don't think it matters much which "brand" of windows laptop is used. I'm a convert.
Actually it really does matter and many test have been done by independent companies on this and hp was #1 and dell was dead last. Its just like any other electronics bad grounds and cheap parts equal cheap sound.
Were these tests done with lossless files sending raw PCM out a USB port? I highly doubt it. Assuming the software is configured and executing properly, if the hardware is so cheap to affect the sound you wouldn't be able to use the USB ports for any other device also. Most likely the tests were done with the machines doing D/A. With the machine doing D/A the sky is the limit of possibilities that can affect what's heard.
no the test were to measure noise, signal fallout, drop signals, and noise on battery vs pluged in you know. The test had nothing to do with sound quality but those things add up to equal better sound.
they werent playing music just measuring which had the most extra measurable sound levels from internal components like fans screens hard drives and all the other noisy parts of a computer that could be measured through the usb along with all the 1 and 0,s. dell was the noisiest according to their test.