Where are you? Do you know what your FM is doing?

Wondering if folks would do the favor of checking in with their general location and tell whether or not the FM stations in their area make it worth investing in a truly fine tuner. Seems most market suffer from "compression-depression" these days.
4yanx
I live in Tualatin, Oregon - which is a suburb just south of Portland. And I might add, that I deffinately agree with many of Karls remarks above.
Uncompressed FM stations in the Portland/Vancouver,WA market are few and far between. As mentioned, KBPS-FM - our local classical station is quite good - and I'm pleased to have a nice McIntosh MR-73 tuner that picks up the station with great clarity. I've also maintained a membership with this fine public supported station for several years.
Though the local PBS station KOPB-FM does not compress their broadcast signal - they stopped broadcasting classical music in favor of a "talk" format - and their views are just way too P.C. for me to listen to for any length of time.
For jazz lovers - there is KMHD-FM which is a nice change of pace at times; as well as a couple of college radio stations. But most of the kids are into hip-hop and other types of music I really don't much care for - so I
rarely listen to the college stations.
As for the rest of the FM stations in Portland - the vast majority are run by outfits like Infinity and Clear Channel. And not only are all the play lists totally predictable - they are quite boring.
If it were not for the KBPS and KMHD, I suspect I would listen to little radio other than talk programs which are mostly on AM.
BTW the station I listen to is WIDR, the Western Michigan University college station and the sound quality is good on my Rotel tuner but still down a notch from my Sony 9000 DVD player.

radio is hard to beat for new music and WIDR is supposed to be one of the best in the nation.
East Bay, No. CA.

Am I only one to think that they notice that the Oldies (especially) and Classic Rock stations are playing the tunes just a wee bit speeded up (sharp)? Over a 24 hour period, of course, more room for commercials.

IMHO, I'd have problems going much over the mid 3-figures price wise for a new tuner. For me, the radio is for background music and auditioning; I rarely sit and listen to the radio. Also, I really, really doubt you'll ever find a station without a ton of limiting and compression. Simply use a cassette recorder in the pause position and watch the meters to check this out.

I'm also considering the Attic InTenna to replace the indoor 1/4 wavelength whip I use. Any user experience appreciated. At:
http://www.antennaperformance.com/

Station recc's:
KXJZ Sacramento The *best jazz programming I've ever heard. Public radio, listener supported. Saturday has the 4-hour Mick Martin Blues Party.

KVMR Nevada City. Volunteer DJ's, listener supported. Total DJ freedom within theme blocks.

KPFA Berkeley 'Nuff said.

The rest is all corporate owned, playlist formatted dreck.
Using a Parasound T3.