Yet another power cord question...

Hi Gonners,

First of all, I've been reading the forum archives for hours and I only got to mid-October, so forgive me if this was covered before.

I'm looking for a power cord to upgrade from the stock cord on yet another Audio Refinement complete integrated. I am using low end Harmonic Technology speaker cables and interconnects, so naturally have considered the Pro Ac 11. However I've heard a lot of great things about the Absolute PC and the diycable Asylum cord, which are cheaper.

My question is, is it worth the extra $$$ for the "system synergy" of all HT stuff, or would I be better off with one of the cheaper cords, and if so is there a recommendation? If I'm going to spend the $120 or so on the HT cord is there a better choice at that price range?

My AC is probably as dirty as it gets (Santa Fe NM house built and wired in the 60's which is like the 1800's by standards of the rest of the country). I'm looking for a lowered noise floor and any help in the bass slam/definition dept. which I can reasonably expect without buying one of those $500 firehose style cords...

Any feedback is appreciated.
jfacker
Hi Jfacker,
The lesser expensive power cords you mentioned are good however they will not give you the bass extension you desire. To achieve that I personally recommend the BMI Whale Elite that can be purchased on this site. For the purchase price (depending on length needed) you will be getting a power cord equalivant to other manufactures $1000-$2000 power cords, for a fraction of the cost.
I also recommend if you have not done so yet run one or more 20 amp dedicated lines using #10 wire this should also help GREATLY!
Hi Jfacker,
Consider the Voodoo Mana or Mojo from www.voodoopowercords.com and also the ones from Virtual Dynamic of www. virtualdynamics.com!
I have the Voodoo Mana and it is worth the price I paid during an auction for $150! It is 8awg and well made! I have an order for the ones from Virtual Dynamics but have spoken to a couple of guys who say that the cords are very good! Their power cords are on introductory offer now, so the prices are real great! One chap tried their Basic Power cord for $29.95 ( original $100 ) and he said that it was on par with the more expensive Cardas Golden power cord!
All the best!
Ramesh
I agree with Lak on the dedicated circuit. I had this done in my house, and it's REALLY effective, and affordable. Like Lak says, go for the 20 AMP circuit, even though it's more than is needed for your current amplifier. It won't cost much more than 15 AMP, and who knows, you might want to use a bigger amplifier someday.

I also think that adding a modest, but useful, power filter like the Chang 3200 is a good idea. I do not believe in spending $ on power cords, so I'd leave that up to your personal feelings on the topic. If you really want to include an after-market power cord in this power upgrade scheme, the absolute most I'd spend is $50 for a used Cardas Twinlink. Be sure it's factory-terminated (not DIY), as it's cheap, they do a terrific job, and they use decent quality connectors.

The circuit and filter should be a cheap and BIG improvement. Like Lak mentioned, be sure to ask for 10 gauge wire for the circuit, and have the electrician use a quality "hospital-grade" wall outlet.