Continuation of my Thread on VPI, Basis, Origin...

....Graham etc.
First off thanks all for your help and advice.

So here is where I stand. I believe that I have a good unit...Aries/10.5/helikon/Benz M2 BUT my integration was not thought out well. Possibly better match with cartridges and arm. I also believe that the weakest point in my set up is the 10/5 arm. So I am leaning to an upgrade to the arm. I hope I can keep my cartridges...I like to use both (one or two months at a time). My candidates are Graham 2.2, Origin Live (high end version) and then possible the Vector.
Now the question. If I got this route, so I change the table? Will a Basis 2500 make a difference, a Big difference?? My advice in another thread says yes.

Finally, this afternoon I was listening to the EMI recording of Rachmaninov "The Bells" and toward the end of side one, close to the spindle, I began to hear low level rumble for about 3-4 revolutions. Is this the result of poor anti-skate, turntable feedback, poor isolation (I have a pretty good table for the set-up) poor recording??? I tried this section of the record on BOTH cartridges and same results.

Comments please....again, Thanks
rwd
Isn't the Graham 2.2 a unipivot design? Is so, given what TWL says about their incompatability with low compliance mc cartridges, wouldn't it be just as problematic with the Helikon as the JMW arms.
I have a Basis 2500, Graham 2.2 and a Ruby 2. I used to have a full boat Linn front end. The Linn front end had nothing I don't have now, but my new front end has superior image focus and bass control. The Graham has adjustments that allow you to tweek the arm the way you like it, plus it is very easy to switch arm wands allowing you to use both cartridges in no time.

Will it sound better, materially, than what you have now? It will be an improvement but how much is pretty subjective. The comment that a TNT V is a bigger step than the 2500 is open to debate. The Basis competes well with the TNT and has the advantage of a much more compact size. The engineering of the Basis gives one security it will run for many trouble free years. The TNT isn't chicken feed either.

The more exotic turntables mentioned are, I'm sure, fine units. That said, get a unit from a company that will be here to service it in five years or is so well engineered that it is unlikely to need service. I chose the Basis because other than replacing the belt or motor, there isn't much to go wrong. Oh yeah, is sounds great to.
Jackcob, yes I agree with what you say about that, as I definitely prefer gimbal bearing arms with low compliance. But, there is a somewhat mitigating factor with the Graham, because it has the "outrigger weights" that tend to stabilize it better than most unipivots. That said, I am strictly into low-compliance cartridges and have a gimbal bearing arm, because I think that is "where it's at" for controlling a low compliance cartridge.

However, one must realize that there are some strong points to unipivots, especially in "liquid" midrange reproduction, that some people are after. And, with all the unipivots out there, many people have a "bias" or "desire" to have a unipivot.

So, taking that all into account, I still think a very high quality gimbal bearing arm is preferable, but if a unipivot must be selected, the Graham is by far the best candidate that I know of. It is undoubtedly one of the best tonearms made, and it has some stabilizing features that help it overcome some of the traditional difficulties that unipivots have. I did not say, nor will I say that it might not have some small difficulty, or be "on the edge" of its capability. I did accept RWD's seeming desire to remain with a unipivot design, and made the best recommendation for the application, as far as a unipivot is concerned. The Graham 2.2 has been used by many with Koetsu carts, which are lower in compliance than the Lyra, and good results were reported. I still do think that an OL Illustrious would be the best candidate overall, because I have the OL Silver, and it has the "liquid midrange" qualities of the best unipivots, as well as the stability and bass response of the best gimbal bearing arms. The Illustrious has a higher lateral mass than my Silver, and should be even better at bass response, and also has a better bearing set than my Silver, so should be even better at resisting any chatter. My Silver handled a DL103 quite well, which is far more demanding than the Lyra. The Illustrious has some lateral mass advantages over the Silver, and should be a better performer because of this. However, the Silver is a competitor to the Graham, at a much lower price. It is a good value in this regard. But RWD is looking for a "flagship" quality arm, and the Illustrious is the "flagship" of the OL line. Any improvement in performance over the Silver puts the Illustrious at the top of the heap, of all pivot arms(IMO). The Silver is at least a match for any of the others, like Graham 2.2, SME V, Ekos, Aro, JMW, etc. Possibly the Breuer may exceed it. I seriously doubt that any pivot arm exceeds the Illustrious. There are precious few that may exceed the Silver. They may in a certain category of performance, but not in the overall. The SME V may have 1% better bass response than the Silver, but cannot match the Silver in the midrange, and musicality. The Graham may have a touch more liquidity in the midrange, but cannot match the Silver in bass response. The Ekos may have a slight edge in detail, but sounds clinical compared to the Silver. Overall the Silver is within a hair of all of the strong points of all the other great arms, and has them all together in one arm. It is an extremely balanced performer of a very high level. The Illustrious is even better, and that should speak for itself.
I don't mean to confuse the issue, but the immedia arm I would think would merit consideration. Alan perkins used lyra cartridges in the design of this arm.
As was stated above, you haven't really made clear which direction ou want to go. The vpi arms are said to have a certain sound to them, as is said both the graham and immedia. (the vpi turntables, for that matter).
You are definitely in the big leages, so to speak, as far as quality is concerned, but yet I get the impression that you don't feel you have what you want. I think it would be wise to assume that you are not happy with the particular sonic signature of the things you have, as you have stated that you think you have made bad matches, but it should be pointed out that many people have the same rig you have and really like it, and problably prefer it to the sound that you are trying to achieve. In order for you to like something, it has to be your favorite. I would think that this is more than a matter of which is a good match. From what I hear, all of the possibilities mentioned here for arms are good matches and actually designed around cartridges like yours. I feel you will have better success in identifying your taste and the various sonic signatures of the arms and/or tables.
I would suggest waiting on any upgrades until after the CES in January. VPI will be coming out with a few upgrades for the Aries that are said to improve performance substantially. In particular, the platter/ring of the new TNT-HRX will be available for the Aries. VPI also mentioned plans to roll out an upgrade for the JMW and a new motor assembly for the Aries. The arm upgrade will, I think, be a new VTA adjustment device that will offer greater rigidity than the current one. The new motor assembly will apparently be oblong-shaped and will house both a motor and a flywheel (somewhat like the new motor on the HRX).

Lastly, I believe a new low-wattage motor is available from VPI. This motor produces less vibration than the current motor. It is my understanding that this new motor can be easily dropped into the current motor assembly.