Good turntable equipped for about 700 dollars?

I'm just now embarking on opening my ears to vinyl, and could really use some advice on purchasing a turntable and all that is needed to make it work. I'm using a Rogue 66 preamp, Proac 2.5 speakers, several different amps right now. What I'd like are recommendations in the $600-$700 used range for the whole shabang (TT, tonearm, and cartridge). Right now, top contendors are the usual Rega P3-2000 and MMF-7 (if I wait long enough for a used one). The VPI 19-Jr looks great, but it may be above my cost limit. What about Linn or older Thorens models? Any other suggestions in this price range? Thanks much.
peter_s
I just got a circa 1985 Linn Sondek LP12/Valhalla/Basik Plus table used on Audiogon for $800 including a Signet AM30 cartridge (which I'll likely replace). Although the deck could use a better arm, and doesn't have the early 1990s Cirkus bearing and underchassis (which some don't like anyway), it's a possiblity to find if you're patient...
Hi:
I auditioned the rega 3, clearaudio champion, mmf-7 and the audio note tt1. The TT1 outperformed all of them by a wide margin and was not the most expensive in the group.

I picked up a used mint condition tt1 for $440. You may be able to find something similar. I would suggest a new Denon DL-103(is your pre MC capable?) and a used tonearm.

good luck and welcome to vinyl.
I agree with what SWKlein says above. A Linn LP12/Valhalla with a Basik Plus arm is in your price range and the best sounding set up for that amount of money. It will bury a Rega, MMT-7, or VPI Jr. The Audio Note mentioned above is a good table, and basically a re-make of the old Systemdek TT. But the Linn is still way above that. At $700, nothing is going to beat a Linn LP12. For a little more money, you could look at the Well Tempered Classic, which is LP12 competition.
Twl - could you provide a little more info on the Linn LP12 system. There are so many odd names around it. I understand that the LP12 is the table, and the Valhalla is an add-on power supply. But what options should I pursue vs. avoid? Is the Basic tonearm sufficient, or is the Basic plus a minimum? Are there other options that are red flags for avoiding, or is the combo you described the bottom of the line with anything else a superior upgrade? Thanks in advance for any intro you can provide to the Linn TT world!