Good turntable equipped for about 700 dollars?

I'm just now embarking on opening my ears to vinyl, and could really use some advice on purchasing a turntable and all that is needed to make it work. I'm using a Rogue 66 preamp, Proac 2.5 speakers, several different amps right now. What I'd like are recommendations in the $600-$700 used range for the whole shabang (TT, tonearm, and cartridge). Right now, top contendors are the usual Rega P3-2000 and MMF-7 (if I wait long enough for a used one). The VPI 19-Jr looks great, but it may be above my cost limit. What about Linn or older Thorens models? Any other suggestions in this price range? Thanks much.
peter_s

Showing 5 responses by peter_s

Twl - could you provide a little more info on the Linn LP12 system. There are so many odd names around it. I understand that the LP12 is the table, and the Valhalla is an add-on power supply. But what options should I pursue vs. avoid? Is the Basic tonearm sufficient, or is the Basic plus a minimum? Are there other options that are red flags for avoiding, or is the combo you described the bottom of the line with anything else a superior upgrade? Thanks in advance for any intro you can provide to the Linn TT world!
Thanks TWL and Paul. I'll keep my eyes open for a Linn table. I just got the Spica's in yesterday - puchased on a lark to experience good imaging. I have them 7 feet into the room based on the "golden rule" outlined on the Cardas site. The speakers definitely "dissappear" - I think due to the insulation on their front baffles. However, I think imaging is affected by reflections in the room. The ceiling is peaked up in the center, with three angled sides all pointing down toward the listening position. Tonally, my first impression is that these speakers sound a bit less "lively" than the Proacs, but I'm just starting to listen. More later and thanks for asking.
By the way Paul (or anyone else)... can you characterize the "Linn Sound" of the LP12? Thanks.
Are there any additional considerations when buying a "transcription" table instead of a "normal" LP12?
Can anyone offer advise regarding the difference between a Linn LP12 and an Aerostan LP12? Thanks, Peter