Replacement Styli Cartridges

I own a cartridge with a replaceable stylus that I have enjoyed very much in the past (and which will, at this point, remain unnamed). Upon inquiry at a local dealer (reputed to be a analog "expert") regarding a source for a replacement stylus, he sniffed and said that no cartridge with a replaceable stylus costing more than $150 (for the cartridge and stylus) was worth buying. Anyone share or disagree with this viewpoint?
4yanx
Well, I wouldn't necessarily agree with the $150 figure, but there are inherent drawbacks with a replaceable stylus assemembly. Vibrations of the smallest magnitude, such as high frequency detail, can be lost in the "sliding fit" of the replaceable stylus assembly, especially where the 2 sections of the cantilever/magnet tube fit together. Also they will always be heavier in the moving mass of the cantilever. This may not be critical if the cartridge is in a class where other carts have similar characteristics, or fit is exceptionally good. But, generally, you can get better results from a non-replaceable type. This is why the ultra cartridges are always sporting non-replaceable styli.

There are some benefits to replaceable styli also. The stylus is easily replaced without need to send it out for re-tipping. And with some cartridges, such as Goldring, the styli are interchangeable, so you can move up in the line, to the Gyger Line-contact types, without buying a whole new cartridge.

IMO, if you find a cart you like, at a price you like, and it has a replaceable stylus, don't worry about it. But if you are looking for a true high performance cart, then the non-replaceable stylus is the way to go.
The Ortofon OM-Super series features the same cartridge body, with 4 different stylus options. The OM-10 Super lists for $90; the OM-20 Super $195; the OM-30 Super $285. There is also a 40 stylus ($225 stylus only). Not sure you can get it with the body. It may only be an upgrade to the stylus.

Now the interesting thing is: if you buy the OM-10 Super for $90 and a 30 stylus for $155. (Total $245.); it is $40 cheaper than the OM-30 Super with the body. You end up with the same thing for less, with an extra 10 stylus as a bonus. I did this, and use the 10 stylus for situations and LPs where I care less about fidelity, and more about not damaging the more expensive stylus.

There is also a OM-3 and OM-5 really cheap, but the body is a lower spec than the OM-Super. Might be similar to what Grado does between Black, Green, Blue, Red, etc.

Ortofon also makes a special 78 RPM stylus that fits this body.

BTW, Garage-a-records.com sells Ortofon at a discount to these prices.

Sugar, that was a kick-ass bit of info you just shared with us. THANK YOU for making us aware of such a situation. Sean
>
I guess I should add to the above that the Ortofon OM 78-RPM stylus is about $40, so you can get it also along with the OM-10 Super and Stylus 30, for the price of the OM-30 Super only.

If you buy on the web make sure it is the "Super" body. You could end up with the old OM body if you see an OM-10, (20, 30, etc), for sale.

What is the difference between the standard OM series and the OM super series ? Sean
>