Is computer audio a bust?

In recent months, I have had several audio acquaintances return to CDPs claiming improved SQ versus their highly optimized computer transports (SS drives, external power supplies, etc, etc).

I wanted to poll people on their experiences with computer "transports." What variables have had the most impact on sonics? If you bailed on computers, why?

I personally have always believed that the transport, whether its a plastic disc spinner or computer, is as or more important than the dac itself and thus considerable thought and energy is required.

agear
Audiolab.. wrote:"most world class dacs sound best with transports that you do not use an inferior cable like usb"

Its not the cable that is usually the limiter here. Its the USB interface design and associated clocking circuitry. Most USB DACs have inferior USB interface designs, but a few are world-class. Its a lot like vinyl cartridges. Some are great and most are just mediocre. The Empirical Audio USB interface has won many shootouts and best of shows, including this latest shootout:

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?ddgtl&1398132150&&&/Absolute-top-tier-DAC-for-standard-res-R

Good cables for USB include the Revelation Audio Labs and the TotalDAC. Not cheap, but great performance. Buying a good USB cable alone, is not sufficient however. In addition to the USB cable, the common-mode noise must be addressed on the USB cable. This is the noise on the ground wire, not the signal wires. This can be addressed with a USB cable filter like the Empirical Audio Short-Block, or for USB interfaces that use the power in the cable, a filter/supply like the Power Block from Empirical Audio.

BTW, an excellent cable for S/PDIF coax is the Empirical Audio BNC-BNC with RCA adapters. Beats all comers at only $250.

Several of my DAC customers have actually sold their vinyl setups when they got my Overdrive SE DAC. Its only a matter of choosing the right equipment.

The question of whether computer audio can be great or not is silly. The answer is that there are no technical roadblocks that cannot be overcome, just like other technologies. Just requires a clever, experienced designer.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
10-15-14: Knownothing
The fact that the original topic merits 6 pages of discussions verifies that this is an important issue in modern HiFi, and still very unsettled. The fact that it has morphed into a discussion about critically important implementation of somewhat arcane data standards, transfer and management techniques indicates that getting data off a computer HD has attained a level of complication for our community on a par with tracking force and tonearm-cartridge compliance. Welcome to the new Black Hole Source.

precisely....
a properly set up computer audio system can sound absolutely superb and transend most analogue and cd/sacd based systems..it's all about synergy and component selection.
Hi Audioengr, I agree with some of what you said totally!, great explanation, Steve wrote,- Its not the cable that is usually the limiter here. Its the USB interface design and associated clocking circuitry. Most USB DACs have inferior USB interface designs, but a few are world-class. Its a lot like vinyl cartridges.,In addition to the USB cable, the common-mode noise must be addressed on the USB cable. This is the noise on the ground wire, not the signal wires.The question of whether computer audio can be great or not is silly. The answer is that there are no technical roadblocks that cannot be overcome, just like other technologies, Just requires a clever, experienced designer.,end quote,,,steve, I was not aware that usb cables have a common ground like balanced analog cables?, never heard of that, if they do not, usb cables are inferrior, having an interface to help or force the usb cable to work better, still does not change the fact a usb cable is inferrior, I am not talking about interfacees, just the usb cable period, thankyou steve.