turntable madness

Ok I need the help of you folks who have in the audio game forever. I'm interested in buying a inexpensive turntable, emphasis the word INEXPENSIVE. I have been looking on e-bay but I must admit it is mind boggling. What do I look for in an oldie but a goodie? I'm looking at turntables such as, Marantz, Technics, Dual, Garrad, Pioneer, Thorens and Gemini to name a few.

Does anyone have any experience with any of these older tables? A particular model # would be very helpful. I don't need something that is going to send me into audiophile heaven, just something to wet my whistle in the never ending quest for better sound.

thanks in advance
kt_88
Lots of Thorens as seconds out there. But as a beginner,go for either new starter systems from Project,or if you can settle for the difference between the Rega planar 2 and NAD. Save yourself the headache of commiting an improper cartridge matching and set up,a dealer will help.
While the used market for turntables, especially older ones seems to be a good place to save money, it can also be a nightmare. Turntables in general DO NOT travel very well, no matter how well they're packed, and it is extremely disappointing to find a nice older one only to have it destroyed in shipping. For the budget conscious, perhaps the very best tables that can be had for very little money are the Music Hall MMF series, many of which are sold by dealers here on Audiogon. Talk to Stephen @ Quest for Sound. He's a great rescource and a terrific dealer.
Hey Revvrun,

Good point but wouldn't that also apply to new turntables as well? No matter how well they were packaged they too would not travel well? If that's the case I'm doomed to buying only turntables made in my city.

just my 2 cents worth.
Kt 88,

I give a strong vote for Thorens. Very well made, sound great, etc. HOWEVER, proper setup of the arm, cartridge, VTA, anti-skate, etc. are things best done by a dealer who knows what he's about and has the tools and experience to do it right. If these things are not done properly - and you as a beginner are practically guaranteed not to get it right - the best table/arm/cartridge combo will sound like junk. So while the Thorens is a great table, it may be worthwhile to follow the other suggestion of getting a new one at a local dealer and putting the onus on him to set it up properly. (I do speak from experience here.)

The MMF line is very good, not real expensive. Ditto the Music Hall series.