How can power cords make a difference?

I am trying to understand why power cords can make a difference.

It makes sense to me that interconnects and speaker cables make a difference. They are dealing with a complex signal that contains numerous frequencies at various phases and amplitudes. Any change in these parameters should affect the sound.

A power cord is ideally dealing with only a single frequency. If the explanation is RF rejection, then an AC regeneration device like PS Audio’s should make these cords unnecessary. I suppose it could be the capacitance of these cables offering some power factor correction since the transformer is an inductive load.

The purpose of my post is not to start a war between the “I hear what I hear so it must be so” camp and the “you’re crazy and wasting your money,” advocates. I am looking for reasons. I am hoping that someone can offer some valid scientific explanations or point me toward sources of this information. Thanks.
bruce1483
Many times the power cord has made no difference in my system. If I were somehow brainwashed into believing in the placebo, I would think I heard the difference all the time. But I don't. In my system, the differences are most apparent on my preamp and TV. I've tried different cords on everything else and they don't make too much of a difference.
Jhunter

The difference between stock cords and expensive cords is the difference between the system "working" and being more "musically involving, emotionally involving, live, present, soundstage, etc." .

Your system will "work" with the stock cord. But, the music enjoyment will be choked off in my experience.

Anyone who has ever heard and appreciated the difference that good PC's make will never go back to stock cords.
Jay, I always wash my brain with Kontak, and chase it with bleach. It helps me hear power cord differences better. Don't knock this tweak til you try it. It also helps clear up some of my other brain problems.
Post removed 
Same here Elizabeth. A realist by nature (some might even say pessimist but I don't think the affliction is quit that advanced) I tried a "designer" cord on a whim. Fully expected to notice no difference. On the source (DAC or transport), where others claim the most benefit, there was no appreciable effect. Putting it on the preamp was another story. The sound was more "musical" and lively. On the amp the difference was VERY noticeable. Here it brought a considerable increase in the heft of the low end and at the same time the overall sound was less strained.

Bought another cord to put on the preamp. Ah, the best of both worlds. Eventually my anal retentive nature caught up and now everything has an upgraded cord. The source didn't really *need* it, but what the heck!

Ultimately it paid off that even as a doubting Thomas I was willing to try something new. If only that attitude could be bottled...