Is computer audio a bust?

In recent months, I have had several audio acquaintances return to CDPs claiming improved SQ versus their highly optimized computer transports (SS drives, external power supplies, etc, etc).

I wanted to poll people on their experiences with computer "transports." What variables have had the most impact on sonics? If you bailed on computers, why?

I personally have always believed that the transport, whether its a plastic disc spinner or computer, is as or more important than the dac itself and thus considerable thought and energy is required.

agear
07-16-14: Foster_9
Agear, many of the posts in this thread clearly demonstrate
the convoluted nature of computer audio, the lack of consensus
on best practices, and some of the reasons computer
audiophiles will remain a niche group within this audiophile
niche group.

I agree 100%. In my optimism, I wanted to see if people had nailed down variables that had the biggest impact on SQ in hopes of understanding better why my audio friends (with good ears and systems) bailed. It was not due to the inherent complexity of computer audio. The SQ of their CDPs was just clearly better. It would be interesting to do a blinded shootout with a unit like the Aesthetix Pandora using either its digital input or the CD section.
Your kidding!, they will not EVER make a $15,950.00 usb cable!, really!, I have a $15,950.00 balnced cable! very incredible sounding to say the least!, state of the art!, computer audio will never reach that point of world class systems, case closed!
I love my computer audio setup and would never consider returning to a CDP. My Mac Mini functions as a server, my iPad is the remote. I run my digital files through a Metrum Octave Mk II DAC. Audirvana takes care of oversampling and processing the music files. Everything runs with little effort -- I'm neither an obsessive nor a master of the computer -- and nary a glitch. I believe that computer audio has reached the point where the marriage of quality and convenience may be compelling even to the most fastidious audiophile. My analog setup still sounds better, but my digital system offers such quality that I listen to it with both great comfort and happy satisfaction.
Easy goal is to get similar or better sound through the same DAC and system with computer source versus CD/transport.

Of course, if the CD players internal DAC is used, and there is no digital input, then it is not possible to get an apples and apples comparison.

I've found this to always be the case when I use spdif connection for both. Can be coax or optical, any decent good quality cable will do.

Not sure many if any CD players support USB, so apples and apples comparison there to computer USB is not easy to do.

Assuming good quality source gear and wires are used, the DAC used will make most of the difference in teh sound going into the same system.

I do wonder if anyone considering computer audio "a bust" have ever done such an apples and apples comparison into same DAC of course feeding the same system?

That's a valid apples/apples test. Otherwise, it is not apples/apples and highly DAC dependent and all bets should be off.
[quote]Mapman wrote: Not sure many if any CD players
support USB, so apples and apples comparison there to
computer USB is not easy to do.[/quote]

Some do. I know that some Oppos and Marantz do. Probably
others.