Why are AM/FM Tuners So Expensive?

I'm referring to NAD, Rotel, etc...

Are they really that much better than what comes in a mass-market receiver?

Thanks!
bday0000
Older analog tuners (Luxman, Yamaha, etc.) with all discrete components sound much better than most of today's tuners. Their selectivity is great rejecting reflecting signals far better.
Speaking of components; Mike Creek uses a FM chipset that was made for high-end car stereos, in his current T43 Tuner. He found it to be superior to anything made for (home) audio. I guess it is no accident that it seems like FM stations come in better in the car. The Cambridge Audio T500 Tuner (designed by Mike Creek) has the same chipset.
Sugarbrie,
Thanks for the website lead. The Yamaha TX2000 wasn't listed there but from what I have gathered from other sources it was one above the TX1000 or top of the line in 1989 and retailed for $750.00. It has a silver front with wood sides and the bottom has a full sheet of copper to act as shielding. It also has a swinging operation panel that pivotes to reveal several buttons and it has the Computer Servo Lock System. I thought I would share this since I found it and was the one who was asking.
The person responsible for that tuner website is Eric Fader. His email address may be on that site, if you have questions on a tuner not listed. He also has other resources like Don Scott.
Hi guys - We don't list the TX-2000 on TunerInfo because no panelist or contributor has used it. Lngbruno's info on it is correct. My guess is it's probably similar to the TX-1000, performance-wise, with more bells and whistles. There is indeed an email address on TunerInfo for questions or contributions, but I would encourage anyone with a question of general interest to post it in our Yahoo discussion group (you can get there via a link on our site). There are over 200 group members, including some really smart guys, and there's a decent chance that one of them at one time has used whatever piece of equipment you might ask about. -Eric