Is computer audio a bust?

In recent months, I have had several audio acquaintances return to CDPs claiming improved SQ versus their highly optimized computer transports (SS drives, external power supplies, etc, etc).

I wanted to poll people on their experiences with computer "transports." What variables have had the most impact on sonics? If you bailed on computers, why?

I personally have always believed that the transport, whether its a plastic disc spinner or computer, is as or more important than the dac itself and thus considerable thought and energy is required.

agear
Most....If not all the music you listen to was mixed and mastered on a computer. I'd rather listen to my master sessions directly from my 2 track mixes via computer than burned to a disc. As a matter of fact....With hd so cheap I no longer save anything to disc and barely listen to disc.

However, for recreational listening I prefer vinyl. I wish I was engineer on a level that afford this option but I will have to stick with high rez masters for now.
A network connection from computer server to sound making device/streamer is usually a good idea to help isolate sound making components from noisy computers.

My approach to since 07. Quarantining the electromagnetic radiation and other nasties from the computer is the "theoretical" advantage although people make arguments about similar issues with wireless.

07-14-14: Lindisfarne
Computer-driven audio is convenient, nothing more, nothing less. I really enjoy streaming Spotify but I'm not fooled into believing that it will ever replace a record played on a decent TT. And, yes, I also like physical CDs better than ripping.
Lindisfarne (Threads | Answers | This Thread)

I am in the same camp. Call me lazy but I listen to a lot more music than the laborious CD or LP spinning days.

07-14-14: Jfrech
I've bailed on it for now...the promise of DSD or DXD downloads might change my mind soon...

Why did you bail? I am about to take the DSD plunge myself. Am looking into the Auralic Aries for wireless transport duties.

07-14-14: Ghosthouse
Don't know your frame of reference. They might not be "high end"
enough for credibility with you but computer audio is working for me.

I have heard a lot of cheese whiz systems sound better than more blinged out systems simply due to proper implementation and setup....

07-14-14: Kr4
No promise. Running two server systems, both with full, multichannel DSD/DXD capabilities and files. The convenience is a given but the sound quality amazes.

What servers platforms are you using and what is your source materials for multi-channel tunes?
Haven't tried it, spend a lot of time doing other tasks on computers at work and at home. So, I put in a CD, sit down, listen, look around--and grab the laptop this is what it has come to.
I believe computer audio is a passing fad, computers do not have quality capacitors, transformers, power supplies,not balanced, no real analog section,then there is the endless Rabit hole of having this and that software etc.., I know many that have returned to Dacs and cd-players., computer audio will go in the way of sacd!