MIT Tube Cables and Solid State Amps?

I am looking at buying a Pr. of MIT MH 770 CVT Terminator Refrence II Twin - Tube speaker cables. I did not think these cables were compatable with Solid State Amps but the buyer is telling me that he used them with Krell Amps and they worked fine. A Tech. at MIT said He would not use them that way as tube cables are designed for tube amps. He also said it would not cause a service problem for the amp (Classe CA 300). I have been getting conflicting reports on this and I hate to miss out on a good deal. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
128x128rsa
Hi, Pops. Cables and IC's are one of the most frustrating and time consuming parts of the chain to zero in on. I'm getting ready to step up from my current AQ combo and am not really looking forward to the process. In fact, I'm trying to develop a more objective process and set of criteria to help me get the decision right -- hopefully no second guessing and no regrets after the deal goes down. I'm comfortable with just listening to other components with familiar music, taking a more subjective approach, but I think cables/IC's need a more "systematic" approach to keep from driving myself crazy. It's a short drive, as is. Your experience with MIT woke me up to the fact that while it's often true that "stereotypes are earned" in the audio world, there can be significant differences within an individual manufacturer's line that suit different tastes and applications. Yeah, I am pretty much hooked on the CLS's right now. I've done the Maggie and Apogee thing over the years, so esl's were destined to be the next step. I'll bet that the Classe/Aerius combo sounded good. Never heard them together, but I would think that any Classe amp would be a good match. These are one of the ss amps, along with the Meitner's and McCormack's, that I really like even after going over to the tube side. Maybe you should keep that checkbook at the ready. The ML hybrids (the bigger the better) won't rock as deep as some dynamic speakers, but they sure don't suck and do it better on a wider range of material than full range esl's. Don't think that the bigger full ranges are limited to quiet, low level stuff, either. Blues are fantastic and certain rock can be swell. The HF sounds of electric guitars is pure magic on ribbons (and esl's), and the hybrids can handle almost anything very well, (although lacking the ultimate transparency of full ranges). Strange as it may sound, the CLS's do Hendrix better almost anything I've heard. Blues, too. John Lee Hooker is literally in the room with me. Mid-bass is exceptional in its accuracy and tonal "rightiousness". What I'm finding more and more is that source material is the biggest factor in my listening experience these days -- especially recording quality. In fact, lately I've been using my worst sounding CD's along with the good ones in evaluating equipment. I ramble... Happy New Year.
Jim, thanks for the response, I agree about cables it is frustrating at times and if your not really in the change/upgrade cable mode a real pain in the ass. I'll tell you what got me back on MIT. I was using Tara Master ic's, pretty happy with em but got a case of audionervosa/bored-osa, and pulled out an old pair of MIT music links prenetwork ic's that I used 10 years ago. They were hooked up to a VCR at the time. I dropped them in and I couldn't believe my ears! Top to bottom coherence and focus improved more than a litte. So I demo'ed several types and really dug the shotguns. I use them with CJ pre and Classe amp, nice, smooth and plenty revealing for me. Hey to each his/her own. The only person you really have to impress is yourself - you have to live with the system!
Miss this good deal. I owned MIT Tube interconnects and speaker cable, they are COLORED; they sweet (overly, of course) and ameliorate solid state drek (ass oppose to solid state good, neutral staff). You don't have to pay a lot for the good cables (Exception: Power cords by Electraglide)
Thank You Simontju. I do have a question. How do you feel they color the sound? I don't own them yet (plan to soon) but I have listened in my system and find them to naturally place and space instruments in a manner that sounds very real to me. In addition there was a dramatic increase in air and detail around instruments which is reminiscent of live music. I suspect they must be system dependent based on the total lack of agreement of this product. Are people justed p.oed because of their pricing?
TubeGroover I own several brands of ICs including older MIT 330 series ICs, my listening is they have smooth top end, and the treble region is de-emphasized compared to regular ICs, giving the treble a slightly recessed sound, the detail is there but not as pronounced or finely detailed as say a good silver IC. MIT contends this is the way natural music sounds and most ICs have too much treble region emphasis. I hear more treble detail than say Cardas Cross, yet subjectively they are equally warm. I find their 3D capabilities to be excellent. I have all SS gear, and feel these traits may not work well with tube gear, but as discussed here new MIT upper end stuff is now specially designed for different types of gear.