Is this why my analog rig isn't so hot?

Hi All,

My system is quite decent, but...

Could it be the voltage output of my Benz Glider is too high?

My photo stage - a 47 Lab PhonoCube - could handle low outputs down to 0.12 mV. Since my Glider has a medium output (0.83 mV) - is this why I'm not that happy with my system? I seem to want to hear more, specially the top.

If I got the same Glider but with a lower output, would it make a difference? Or should I get a better cartridge? And which one?

My system:

Basis 2000 table
RS-A1 Lab arm
Benz Glider (0.83 mV)
47 Lab PhonoCube phono stage
47 Lab Chooser passive preamp
47 Lab Gaincard amp
Konus Audio Essence speakers

Thanks!
George
ngeorge
Dear George: If you have the standard version of the Phono cube then it will be better the low output version of your Glider cartridge, this one has an internal impedance of 13 ohms. Other alternative is to change the Phono cube version for the high gain model.
The problem in the high frecuency reproduction is not a cartridge problem: it is a 47 labs system problem, you can read severals reviews about it.
I agree with what Sean told you about a proper installation: tonearm/ loading impedance/VTA-SRA.
You don't need to change your tonearm it is ok ( I own one of this tonearm ) and works best than SME with the Benz cartridges.
Btw, Doug, Paul and Sean: I own the Ruby 2 and the LP Benz cartridges and I never experienced that lost in the top end, I think that the people that has that problem is because a mismatching analog system and not because the Benz Micro cartridges. I think that the people that has that problem are using tube electronics.
George don't go with the " Denon 103 myth ", this cartridge
was an " ok cartridge " more than 20 years ago, but by any music reproduction standards it is a bad music reproduction transducer, it never was and state of the art cartridge by any standards and it never will.
Doug: the Graham tonearm has many problems, specially with low compliance cartridges, not because is a unipivot tonearm but because is a bad design.
Regards and always enjoy the music.
Raul.
Raul: Your observations about the people having top-end problems with Benz cartridges were using tube based gear from what i can recall. Good observation on that one, but i can't agree with your comments about the Denon 103. My personal experience with this cartridge is that, like most MC cartridges, it is very sensitive to changes in loading. In the proper arm and with the right loading, i find it to be a very solid performer and a phenomenal bargain. Problem is, most people don't mate it with an appropriate arm and / or don't take the time to properly dial it in electrically either. In most cases, these are folks that are hardcore converts to digital primarily because they don't like to "fidget" with their gear in terms of setting up the cartridge / arm, let alone get inside their gear and change resistors and capacitors. While i can understand that mind-set and don't have a problem with it, like anything else though, sub-optimal installation results in sub-optimal operation. Sean
>
Interesting thread. I have one of these .8 mV Gliders on my Vector tonearm. I am loading it at 250 Ohms using my Rhea tube phono stage and I don't notice any loss on top. Matter of fact it sounds pretty damn good. I really don't get the comment about it not tracking well. I have a few significantly warped LP's and it plays them beautifully. I'm sure there are cartridges that may sound/track better but I would not be quick to blame the cartridge or tubes over this issue. Echoing Newbee, I suggest NGeorge calculate resistor values that will incrementally give 100 to 500 Ohms or more resistance when placed in parallel with the Cube and try them before spending alot of money on another cartridge.
Dear george: I don't want to miss the point: try to help you.
I think that you don't have to change your tonearm or electronics, the best you can do is to buy the Myabi cartridge that mates perfectly with what you have and is and exellent performer too.
In this way you will be near the top of analog music reproduction.
Regards and enjoy the music.
Raul.

Note: Sean I respect your point about the DL 103. Like many issues on music reproduction many things are a subjective ones ( like this ) and maybe your music standards are that of the DL 103 and the difference in our point of view is that my music standards are differents from yours.
Hi Raul,
Thanks for helping George with your experience. Good to know his Benz and RS-A1 are (or should be) capable performers.

I totally agree he should check/test all setup parameters (especially VTF and VTA) and certainly try higher loading before buying a new component.

I'm also not sure why you say tube electronics have a top end problem. Mine certainly don't. Obviously one needs to use the right tubes and load/match things properly. But judging by my system and others I've heard, tubes per se are unlikely to be the problem.