LP playback is lacking - any ideas?

I looking for ideas to improve my vinyl playback. I have a vpi 19 jr. with a Linn Akito arm and Benz Glider cartridge.
The phono pre-amp is an audio research ph-3. The sound I get is congested and i don't know why. I'm to sort of 'open up' the sound more. Any ideas folks?
rtaylor
The retube on a ph-3 is dirt cheap - $40-50 or so. The tubes live 2000 hours. I would go to someone other than ARC for the tubes. They are (sovtek?) standard 6922's. ARC really overcharges for their tubes these days.
On the topic of cartridge loading: The ph-3 comes from the factory with input impedance = 47K ohms, input capacitance = 90 pF. Your ph-3 should have come with a set of resistors that you have to solder into the ph-3 to change the loading characteristics. Your ph-3 manual will have a table of resistor to loading. If you don't have this table I will post it for you. An easy thing you can also try is to look at your line stage preamp and see if it has any inputs that take a lower input setting. My ref1 preamp's aux1 input was 3 db lower than the rest of the inputs. I found using this input worked better for my phono stage. Good luck.
Not familiar with that specific model, but can you put on better interconnect cables??
Want to really get the most from your turntable,install an Express Machining Heavyweight onto your tonearm. It will transform your setup to a higher standard.
Cartridge mis-alignment in the headshell can create some of the problems you mention..is the Benz properly set up? Are you the original owner of the Akito? Could be some problems there...can't hurt to check. Good Luck!