Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
I agree with Steve on tubes not being tight in the bottom end, but my Lampizator Big 5 does everything else soooo good
And when you think about it is bass at a live event tight
EMM Labs and Playback Designs are for sure in the lean camp.

Puff, puff, pass.
Good bass (tight, taught or otherwise) is not predjudiced by either solid state or tubes. Its either good or it isn't. I have heard great tube bass and great solid state bass.

And I have heard both poor as well. Its not the wand, but the magician.
Hi Mattenshilp..interesting.. Here's my take. Stop worrying about the gear! First just wait for the PSA Directstream. I should have mine Tuesday ( I also have PWD MKII) I suspect it will be shockingly good from all accounts, and looking at more expensive Dac's it this point doesn't make sense.

From looking at the pics of your system you need to setup what you have correctly. The Vienna's are WAY to close to the back wall for starters, I can't tell but the spacing between them looks off.

You also need at the very least to get drapes or something over all the glass around and behind your speakers. Are there any carpets on the floor? Your room needs work much more than you need to buy more expensive gear. Just throwing money at better gear without addressing the room and setup makes little sense. I can 100% guarantee you that you haven't even heard just how good what you already own sounds!

You mentioned a Shunyata hydra av.. Good choice.. Have you done dedicated AC lines? Huge upgrade for small dollars, and the absolute foundation of a great system.

There are numerous tweaks you could do to get your system really dialed in.. Tweaks that would be fairly inexpensive..

Keep in mind it's Speakers/placement > Room> and then everything else!

I'm also in central-ish NJ glad to help if I can :-)