Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
Guys, this is the debate that we have always and will always have. I agree that the perfect tube isn't in place and never will be. I'm a tube guy. I'm selling off my Quicksilver stuff (I couldn't afford the AR or Jadis gear I wanted back in the day). I went with Ayre and and love it. I run an inexpensive Music Hall DAC as I didn't want to spend too much on a DAC with all the changes coming down the pike. I run it off the XLR outputs and it sounds fine for now. I've heard the Ayre DAC in a very high end system and it's sounded awesome. Just natural bloom where there is supposed be be bloom. I've heard a lot of the other higher priced DACs by now and honestly, the Ayre is as good as if not better. I still think it's impossibly to listen to components in different places on different days and compare them, but we all do it because it's our hobby, lol....or career for some of you.

Oh and that said, I have still yet to hear any DAC sound as properly done vinyl.
I agree with Steve on tubes not being tight in the bottom end, but my Lampizator Big 5 does everything else soooo good
And when you think about it is bass at a live event tight
If we are referring to acoustic bass heard in live settings, jazz or classical the bass is not tight. It is full bodied,richly textured and has a natural bloom to the sound. Some components introduce a tightness that actually does not exist when these instruments are heard live. I see no advantage to an over damped bass character if it deviates from reality. Go and listen to a live bassist perform and judge for your self.Electronica and synthesizer are a different matter. I am referring to un amplified acoustic double bass sound.
Charles,
I suspect if anyone doubts tubes have deep, tight bass he hasn't been listening to very good systems. In addition, relative to solid state bass, tube bass has more detail, more "character" and more naturalness. Of course one can always find a mediocre system and try to draw conclusions.
I agree with Steve on tubes not being tight in the bottom end, but my Lampizator Big 5 does everything else soooo good
And when you think about it is bass at a live event tight