What do I need to set up digital music server?

OK, I'm an old analog guy but have started to dabble in digital. I've been using my laptop up to this point but it just ain't the best way to go. What I want to do is this:

a. Have a box that will store a lot of music (hi res music).
b. It would have a user friendly, visual interface that would help me organize and retrieve music.
c. It would have to be able to RIP(?) CDs using my CD player.
d. It should have a remote control.
e. It should be compatible with my wifi network and work with services like Pandora.
f. It needs to be affordable, less than $1500.

I've been reading up on all this but I still have trouble with some of the "digital" terminology. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
winggo
Yes. Unless you have a megabuck transport, the Synchro-Mesh reclocker will improve things. Particularly if you use the Dynamo power supply and my BNC cable.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
The Dell T5400 works pretty well as a server .($250.00on
Ebay) I am running JRivermedia. This 5400 has two dual core
2.66 gighz cpus. It will hold 8 gig of ram , but you need
to use windows 7 for it to recognize that much ram. My T5400
came with two 500 GIG SATA drives. It has a 970 watt
power supply. It will also run raid o,1,or 5 . Mine also
came with a ati 9250(I think ) with Vga out and S-video out
. I have it hooked to my Sony 55 inch TV. Theater mode works
great for large tvs on JRiver. I also downloaded and use the
Black on Black skin. Much easier on the eyes
Also i am using the Musical fidelity V-Link-2(a Usb to spdif
converter), which is not the best out there , but it isn't
the worst either. If you want good sound, you must use one
of these if your DAC does not offer Asynchronous USB input
I am running optical out of the V-Link to the optical input
of My Musical Fidelity M1 clic, then analog out to my pre.
It sounds pretty darn good. It has a lot more detail than my
Sony CDP-M555ES .Can be a little sharp if cranked up , but
it has pretty darn good bass , It could be better , but it
isn't bad. It just could be a little more prominent. It is
Taut and not at all Flabby.
I was able to get the M1 clic at a great price at Music
Direct (75 percent of off MSRP)
I would like to try the Arcam iRDAC.
Has anyone tried this DAC yet ?
Also curious to know if anyone uses the Digital Coaxial out
of the V-link instead of the optical out , and which you
like better.
"I don't have any HD files like that yet, but I would like to move in that direction. I'm stuck with iTunes compatibility"

You can still use iTunes as long as its on a Mac. Just combine with Amarra or Audirvana and you will have a great sounding player. Use XLD to rip to .wav for best results.

For PC, avoid iTunes at all cost for music playback. Get Jriver instead and maybe improve it by adding JPLAY. Rip CDs with dbpoweramp to .wav format for best results.

The MOST IMOPORTANT thing with digital audio is to minimize jitter from the digital source. The best way to do this is to reclock the datastream or use a good quality stand-alone Async USB converter like the Off-Ramp 5.

More tips:

www.empiricalaudio

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

Thanks, but it went over my head especially the stuff on your web page. Ouch I feel even less smart now.

I think I just stick with what I have for now. I really don't want to buy a stand alone DAC when I have pretty decent DACs in the Marantz AV8801 and the Oppo BDP-95. I'll just copy files to a USB drive and plug and play when I want to do critical listening. I'm not going to set up a music server at this time, mainly due to the cost of a DAC but also due to my ineptitude in this sort of thing.

Also, is it just me or does HDtracks not sell any singles (or very few)? Seems to be albums only. I'm not really interested in buying all my CDs again...
I'm not really interested in buying all my CDs again...

There are different reasons for using the server. I have only regular 16/44 CDs but storing them on computer Hard Drive allows me find them easily, set up playlists, become independent from the CD transport (often expensive and hard to replace). Backup HD keeps my music protected from theft fire etc. I can easily change music on my USB drive I use in the car.

Yes, it is complicated to set up right but we all learn new things in this crazy hobby.