Can speaker cables damage amplifiers?

I have been told on good authority that network cables such as TRANSPARENT and MIT can cause broad bandwith amplifiers (eg Krell) to "go into oscillation" and thereby cause some nasty damage. These cable manufacturers, apparently, are aware of this problem. Can anyone confirm this?
hungryear
It's my understanding that if a speaker cable's own charactersitic impedance is too low, that this is what allows the wave to reflect back into the feedback loop of the amplifier.
Oscillation? Have you ever seen the footage of that large suspension bridge that started rocking with the wind until it self-destructed? That is oscillation.
There's so much here, I hardly know where to start. First, in my opinion, if an amplifier can oscillate just because of using a certain brand of speaker cable, either the amp, or the cables, or both, are poorly designed. Second, oscillation is a signal coming out with no signal going in. Oscillation occurs in an amp when specific conditions are met regarding the resistance, capacitance, and inductance values connected to the amps input or output. The analogy to the bridge is a good one, or think of holding a mike next to a speaker in a PA system- you get a howl or a whistle. An amp that oscillates because of the speaker connections will put out a signal even if the inputs are disconnected; this is usually called singing (it's like a dog whistle at high volumes.) The amp will have a bright, edgy sound, because of all the distortion caused by the oscillation signals, and the output transistors will get very hot. In a really bad case (think dog whistle at 100 watts), all this happens in a few seconds, and then you get silence, because the guts of the transistors are now little melted balls of metal. (The next sound is usually the owner crying.) This situation just shouldn't be able to happen with changing cables. Last, I have a lot of respect for Pass, and what he says is true, but irrelevant. The cables are too short, and frequencies are too low, for there to be a significant reflection. Reflections are a problem when the cables's amplifier end is at one voltage, while the speaker end is at another (the amp is already putting out note B while note A is just getting to the speaker.) Don't worry about it until your speaker cables are over a half mile long. My apologies for the long post.
Apparently with the appearance of low inductance cables and wide bandwidth amplifiers what 'just shouldn't be able to happen' is exactly what did happen in cable lengths exceeding three feet. Apparently some designers recognized the problem at that time and took steps to correct it. The intent of the Pass excerpt was to direct the reader to the article itself. If you read further you may find more relevance. Here is another teaser from the same article: "Note that these effects exist with all cables. The fact that only the newer, low inductance cables appear to affect amplifier stability brings us to a point which justifies our examination of a cable's performance in regions which are simply not audible. The lower resonant frequencies of the cables having low Zo enter into the output bandwidth of the amplifier as it approaches its unity loop gain, and by altering its phase response cause oscillation at the resonant frequency." Enjoy.