A somewhat unusual request for PrePro help

I have been in 2 channel high end for a long time. I've been very happy for many years with the following:

EAD T1000 transport
EAD DSP-7000 v.III D/A
Bedini Preamp
Bedini 803 amp
Shahinian Diapason speakers
Kimber and Siltech cables throughout

Like others I am struggling with the desire to move into HT, without sacrificing musical reproduction. My problem is as follows: my house does not allow me to support a dedicated 2 channel AND a HT setup (not enough room). I also find that most HT receivers I have heard (B&K, Denon, Yamaha, Marantz, some others) really do not sound all that good - each in their own way (relative to what I'm used to) for unadulterated musical listening. So I have decided to try and put together a HT system with parts of my existing system.

Since the space I have for HT is also non-ideal (it's big enough, but its arrangement makes for troublesome equipment placement), I decided that I would try to replace parts of my system in an effort to try and consolidate things. One of the first new things I bought was the Marantz DV-8400 DVD player. I listened to a few units (including Denon and Sony) in the hope of finding a universal player that would work well with 2 channel music. I settled on the 8400 because it was the best compromise (for me) given its cost. It does 2 channel in a nice, musical fashion. The low end is reasonably articulate (but does not go down quite as low as my EAD rig). The mid is somewhat laid back, but not recessed. The high end is (again) musical and reasonably airy (but not as extended or haze-free as the EAD rig). I know this sounds like a *negative* assessment, but it really isn't. Given that I was not about to look at a Linn Unidisk or anything like that, it's really quite nice. The Marantz is also quick and has nice pace. It was a steal at the price I paid. Plus, it's video performance is quite good.

So I am now looking to replace my Bedini pre with a HT prepro. Now I know that I *should* be looking at using my Bedini in some kind of pass-thru fashion with a HT device just handling multichannel, but I really am trying to consolidate things, so I am willing to make compromises, but only very SMALL ones (g).

I've read up on a few prepros, and have narrowed my interest to Bryston, Cary, Naim, and EAD. My desires are for the following:

Multichannel analog direct mode
2 Channel analog direct
Video switching is not a requirement
The usual other stuff that makes for HT audio capability (but well done)

I am primarily hoping to find something in the $2500-$4000 range (like new or new) that will help the 8400 in both the upper and lower extreme, but not at the expense of grain or hardness at the top, or boominess at the bottom. I am greatly interested in the Naim, but I am a little concerned about how much of the classic "Naim sound" it may have. Now my audio experience is all in 2 channel, and may be a little out of date. But my memories of the Naim sound were that of incredible pace and rhythm, and excellent midrange, a tuneful upper and lower end, but not as airy on the top or as resolved at either end as I would have liked. Additionaly, I found that the old style Naim sound tended (IMO) to impose that sort of Naim-toe-tapping effect on everything that went through it, even when it didn't seem right. Again, IMO, but if the Naim sound has evolved over the years to keep that sense of pace but also add extension and openness then it will definitely help in my thoughts regarding the AV2.

I would greatly appreciate help and opinions from those of you who are familiar with the sound of the Bedini/Shahinian combination (are there any left out there?). As far as speakers go, assume I will eventually move to maybe Arcs or the like for rears, but I don't know yet what to do about a center (unfortunately Shahinian does not make a shielded speaker).

Is it possible for the price range I've laid out to get HT sound that will at least approach what I'm used to?
tonyptony
Okay. Let's say I go along with this (BTW, Beemer, I see from your other posts that you have quite a 2 channel system from the looks of it). My Bedini preamp does not have a unity gain output, so unless I either run it fully cranked or make some kind of volume preset mark I will have to look at another preamp. Assume for the moment I find some way of using my existing preamp. What could you all recommend as a quality multichannel processor to be used for HT?
I see Beemer and Sean's point. It seems that what you're considering will sacrifice 2 channel performance no matter what.

Starting ten years ago, I followed the opposite path you're considering. I first built the HT, then after realizing 2 channel performance had to be much better than what I had I built a separate music system.

After much trial and error assembling a 2 channel rig I truly enjoy, I now have a music system, a home theater, and two computers all in one small room.

While I still work to improve my 2 channel system, my home theater has remained unchanged for six and a half years. I still enjoy it, and I sometimes feel that if I only had the 2 channel set up, I could run my DVD player through it and still be happy.
Gunbei, I'm very envious that you've been able to do this all in one room (it must be some room!), but you must believe me when I say I know I could not put a 2 channel and HT system in my den (I've tried with some friend's equipment).

I am the first to admit what I'm doing will be a compromise, but if I want to have any kind of listenable 2 channel available to me I have to do it. Before I moved into this house I had a dedicated listening room which I used for close to fifteen years, both in building a music system and listening to it. (This doesn't count the 10 years before that just finding out all I could about high end audio.) I just don't have that anymore. I'm willing to lower my standards, but just enough to find an acceptable compromise. I have to live with this reality.
Rontube, I could maybe see what the MX119 goes for on the used market. I haven't heard any Mac stuff in quite a few years. Can you give me a feeling for the sonic character of this device?
Upadte: Ron, forgive me for being an idiot. I guess the McIntosh has only just come out. Probably not many on the used market!