DLP rear projector recommendation please

hi, looking to buy a DLP rear projector. 50-61". which brand and model should go for??

thanks!
joey
lockwar
Very sad to hear about Arun; his guide and tracking of the Samsung models was truly amazing.
I like the Sim RPTV, but it is quite expensive. At a far more reasonable price, the RPTVs from Optoma look pretty good.

I am not a fan of the Samsung sets. Even when the sets are suppose to be calibrated, the colors look odd and artificial.

I saw the JVC LCOS set at CES. The colors are decent and the picture is very detailed, smooth and natural looking. The weak point is black level and shadow detail, which is not up to what DLP sets can do.

I understand that LG or some other company has announced a 55" backlit LCD set. If they have licked the problem that LCD sets have with motion artifacts (slow response of the set to rapid changes in the image), it could be a top contender. I like the color palette of LCD sets and black levels are getting better and better.

I expect to see at CEDIA the ultra thin DLP RPTVs that several manufacturers have been touting. I wonder what picture quality compromises had to be made to make a 55" set only 5-7" in depth.
Samsumg HL-P6190, out in another month or three. Take a good look. If it (and xHD3) meets half the hype, it will be worth the $6500. If not, I'm stuck with my current display for yet another year of wait and see.
I just saw the 70" Sony SXRD (their proprietary version of LCOS) RPTV at CEDIA. The source material was 1080i from a blu-ray. Incredible detail, low video noise, very little obvious motion artifacts, beautiful color, pretty good black level. In short a fantastic picture, that bests anything but the most exotic machines. Aside from a Sony G90 CRT front projector, a Faroudja D-ILA projector ($42,000), the Sony Qualia front projector, this was my favorite display device at CEDIA. At $10,000, nothing approaches this set. The 82" Mitsubishi LCOS set was also displayed at CEDIA. It suffered by comparison, primarily from poorer black level.

The 61" DLP set that is only 7" in depth was being shown by In-Focus (RCA was showing their version, which is identical). I was surprised that it had reasonably good focus at the edges, given that the beam must be hitting the edges at an extremely oblique angle. My only concern was that, with the material they were using, I saw a bit more of the "rainbows" than I like to see. Can't say if this was an inherent quality of this technology.
The Samsung HLP5085(with pedestal stand)looks nice , but Sony and Toshiba looked good also at CC today all on sale right now).

I was just about to make a decision today until I got the bug to go plasma with its crystal clear picture . Now comes more deliberation (of course double the price for plasma except for an open box 50' for $4,000+ (can't remember the brand).