Bigger is Better...

Hi guys,
Well it may not be better, but it's certainly more impressive. Orginally I was going to go with the Panny 32" LCD, but it turns out (from some furniture movement) that I have more than enough room, in my bedroom, for a 42" plasma. Here's where I'm at now, in my mini bedroom system:
-purchased used NAD 320 integrated
-Definitive Technology BP7006 speakers on the way-
-newest Bravo, on the way, as well-
What is the 42" plasma to own. $$ are not a factor if the set delivers. I'm looking for a September purchase. Enough time, then, to do my homework, and hopefully fall into a good price. Also, with all the plasma specs, I do not understand the contrast ratio number. What should I be looking for? Thanks in advance.

peace,
warren
128x128warrenh
I think you'll be much happier with a 42" plasma than with a 32" LCD. For a 42" Plasma, the contenders are going to be Panasonic, Fujitsu, Pioneer, and
Sony. Each of these displays has a slightly different look. You'll want to go out and have a look at them to make up your mind. The only problem is getting good audition conditions. Most of the kids that work in these Home Theater type shops don't know how to work these screens. The brightness is typically turned way up, some screens may have been calibrated, while others have not. In the stores, they will be playing High Definition television, which is good to see, but since there is very little High Def TV to watch, I think it is just as important to see how the screen performs with DVD, but then you have to find a kid who can hook up a DVD player to the screen, etc. Make sure your plasma display has an HDMI or DVI input (two is even better!). Bring a DVD with you that has dark scenes because this where the displays differ the most -- how they handle "black." Does it achieve good black levels, do the blacks look "grayish," is there detail or is there just blocks of black?
Extended warrantee--good idea? Pretty pricey , but considering the cost of the Plasma, doesn't seem to be, down the long road, a bad idea. How do you service these babies if there is a problem? Thoughts on this? Would seem by the general feedback I've been getting, from 'goners as well as some others; the Panny line won't disappoint. Would anyone know the model number of the one to buy? I want HD, obviously, having the option for it in my cable service. Cost of $14 a month, for their box. Saw HD on my brother's 42" Fujitsu. Man, that is the way to go. Thanks for your help, guys...
I'm far from a videophile, but I'd be wary of HDTV via a cable box. Most of what I've seen is far inferior to satellite, which is understandable considering the differences in how the HD signal gets there. The box used by the cable company in our area is predictably cheap and it shows (literally).

Also, I don't think you can do much to fix Plasma screens. It's useful life without problems is somewhat less than other technology anyway, so make sure you factor those in to your decision. BTW, the LCD screens at the HE2004 show were quite impressive and negated some of the weaknesses previously associated with that technology.
The only experience I have with satellite transmission is what I've seen in the stores. 'twas, quite amazing, but I have seen, as I said, HD via cable, and it was great to my eyes. Better than regular TV, but maybe not as fine as satellite. I'm not a TV watcher 'cept for the Yankees and a few shows here and there. I'm sure the LCDs are killer, but a 42" probably cost way more than a 42" plasma. Right?
The problem with LCD is that it looks good from the sweet spot, but when you move off-axis, left or right, you get that tropical fish, florescent thing happening -- and LCD also has a problem with "blacks" which becomes exascerbated when you move off-axis. I'm not sure why HD would look any better from a satellite than from an HD Box. I get mine from an HD Box and the HD I get looks terrific -- I just wish there was more programming available. The difference between HD and non-HD is really startling, which makes it hard to watch anything in standard def. If you're looking to skip the auditioning process, trying to find a kid who knows anything about the screen, etc., I don't think you will go wrong with a Panasonic. The guys and gals over at AVS Forum seem to swear unanimously by Panasonic plasma.
Check out the PANASONIC - TH-42PX25U/P. It has HDMI input and is HDTV ready. Next, you'll need an HDMI equipped DVD player.