DLP vs Plasma/LCD

I was just about ready to plunk down $4k for a Panasonic 42" plasma. I was at my brother's tonight watching the Olympics on his 42" Pioneer plasma (HD transmission,) when he tells me that I should go with a DLP for my bedroom, rather than the plasma. He claims the picture is much better and they cost less. I wasn't even considering a DLP because I didn't think it would fit in my bedroom. (being to deep) He says they make some, now, that are only a few inches deeper/wider than a plasma. Any takers? Is the DLP the way to go? If so, can anyone recommend one with killer picture quality, and relatively thin? thanks in advance. warren
128x128warrenh
Toss in one more vote for the Sony 50" DLP. For under 3k I got a great looking screen that weighs less than 100 pounds and provides plenty of visual impact for my small theater. The plasmas are sexy as all get out - but the 5k difference in price I used to buy an Esoteric DV-50 to feed my bargain DLP - and I couldn't be happier.
RCA to come out with a 7 inch deep DLP made to hang on the wall
Bought myself a panasonic dlp 50 inch.. awesome!
I'm with dja except I chose a 61" JVC D-ILA/LCOS. DV-50 & ISF calibration also contending.
I was looking at the samsung DLP's in the store yesterday and I saw something that disturbed me. The bright white colors were getting "computer rendered" (for lack of a better term). This was the first time I had seen this, but it was happenning on all 3 of the samsungs and not on the other DLP's. Has anyone seen this? Could they have had the settings cranked up too high? Looking for some feedback because this threw me for a loop.
I chose to go forward projector, and here is why:

1) The DLP Sanyo Z2 is an awesome bargain at $1300. It projects a picture that is better than anything I have seen at Good Guys. It handles HD with stunning realism. There is no screen door effect.

2) The Liteon DVD player ($135) is another stunning bargain. The colors are natural, and never overplayed. contrast is great.

3) I can have any size screen I want, I have settled for an 80" diagonal Da-lite Theater Lite ($240). The picture looks the same from every seating angle, and is it big in my 17' by 21' room.

4) Sound is provided by my evolved stereo system. Apogee Scintillas float the music from sub level to beyond. H2O Signatures power the 1 ohm speakers like no other can.

5) when I want to listen to music, I just collapse the screen. There is no unsightly giant box.

Side note: The Sanyo sits underneath the coffee table, on a shelf. It is 9' away from the screen.