Starter System Suggestions

My godson has graduated from college, gotten his first job and moved into an apartment with friends. He has asked me to help him put together a starter system. His room is a fairly large rectangle and the system will go on the long wall but pushed down toward one end. His dad (my best bud) has always had a good hifi (which I have helped him with) so, fortunately or no, he knows what good sounds like. His budget is around $2K for an integrated (with digital inputs, DAC but no phono--a headphone amp would be a bonus) and speakers. He is thinking bookshelves but could go with small floorstanders if they were within his price range. He likes speakers with a wide dispersion pattern and a slightly warm presentation. I am interested in your suggestions for synergistic combinations that meet his needs in terms of functionality. I am going to encourage him to follow the thread and maybe contribute so please keep the suggestions flowing. Some brands I've suggested he explore:

Speakers: Proac Tablettes, Nola Boxers, Gershman Sonograms, ATCs, Harbeth

Electronics: Peachtree, NAD, Rotel, Bel Canto

I haven't heard most of these nor do I know how well they would work together so please weigh on the models above as well as additional suggestions.

Many thanks.
dodgealum
Have to agree with emotivapro.com. Stealth DC-1 DAC for $699.00 and a pair of Stealth 6 or 8 powered monitors. All brand new with a 5 year warranty and small enough to transport when he moves.

Pick up a pair of used stands and some new Mogami Neglex cables built to length needed.
Hey everybody, just wanted to introduce myself- I'm the lucky duck! Thanks for your recommendations. To clarify, I'm looking for something that will specifically sound good with the music from my computer that I have stored in lossless format as my primary music source. Thanks again!
Rotel + B&W = great entry level system.

Go with Kimber for cabling

Get a used REGA dac for the computer stuff.
NAD!!!! Get the boy a nice NAD integrated and some monitors. It's the best way to start. Seriously, nothing beats NAD for the price. He'll never forget it when he moves on.
Emotiva for the power and DAC. Used Snell's for the speakers. If he can find a good set of E II's that have been refoamed with Audio Note surrounds, he will be impressed. Vandersteen 2 CE's are very nice also, but I've heard both and I really like the Snells. You can get them for about 300-400 done right, but they are somewhat difficult to find in very good condition.