Which Pre/Pro regardless of $$$

The more I read about, or shop for a Preamp/Processor, the longer the list is getting. I currently have
* Sony TA-E9000ES
* Parasound amps (220W x 5)
and want to upgrade the whole system:
I've started with speakers...

*** (1st part of upgrade) JM LAB 936 Electra Speakers w/matching center(c901) and surrounds (906).
Now I need my pre/pro.
Want to achieve a system that will shine for both Movies and Music.
However, since I already have a dedicated 2ch system; if I had to choose music vs. movie performance in this system, I would give the nod "slightly" towards movie performance .

On my list (so far)....
* Bryston SP1.7
* EAD TM 8000 (is their a sound benefit w/ the PRO version ?? will the new 8800 be worth wait/$$ ??)
* Krell HTS 7.1 (does this model still "pop" when locking onto a digital source ?, does it still miss the first few seconds of sound from cd/dvd while locking onto digital source? I ask only because the older HTS models had this problem)
* Tag Mclaren AV32R bp-192
* Lexicon MC-8B

I've already auditioned Sunfire, Anthem, and Aragon; and am working on the above. I would like (and appreciate)feedback and/or recommendations on any of the Pre/Pro's listed above.

I would like
* Analog pass-thru for SACD/DVD-A
* Bass Management (for the SACD/DVD-A as well; if possible)
* DPLII, DTS,DD, etc.., etc..
* The ability to listen to stereo sources with the Front L/R main speakers set to Large and still be able to use (or not use) the sub when I want.
**** MOST IMPORTANT - Excellent SOUND !!!!

THANKS IN ADVANCE !!!
Paul
capnizzy
i'm relatively new to this forum, but does the theta casablanca fit in this picture?
Yes, the Theta is a very good unit. So is the top-of-the-line Lexicon, although I wasn't too impressed with one of the lower models.
I had just sold my TAG AV32R and got the new Dual Processor, very good, but as they are going down, returned it and got a Krell Showcase instead, because it also has digital parametric equalization, a must for any room that is not fully treated acoustically...

No more "pops", and it sounds very dynamic, still no grain or harshness, the standard 7.1 has better pre-amp and is hardware upgradeable, but twice the price...

No processor that I know will do bass management for SACD, until they have digital links and processing...
I compared many pre/pros before settling on the Bryston. It easily beat Krell(showcase), Rotel(1066), Integra(RD7 I think), B & K (Ref30 and 50), Sunfire(TG3), and Acurus. The Classe SSP-30 was very close. My decision was based on 2 channel performance.

The big Krell and Classe were out of my price range, while I didnt check out the Classe, I have heard the Krell and it sounded very good.

The Bryston gives you the option to play 2 channel pure (analog w/ no sub) via its piggybacked analog preamp. Or, in stereo w/ sub via its DSP. It was this analog section that, I feel, gave it the advantage over the others.

You can easily see that my comparison was not "money no object," But nontheless, I hope the info helps.