Best HT System with Projection Screen for $14,000

I have cleared $14,000 in cash from the wife to turn my basement into a 7.1 Home Theater. I am going to go with a projection unit and screen rather than a TV. The sheet rock is not up yet, so I have plenty of options for wiring.

I also would like to supply 3 other rooms in the basement for a zone two.

I have not decided on anything yet, but leaning towards Denon electronics (3803), the Denon DVD/SA/DVD-A player and Paradigm speakers.
I will need bulk speaker wire, and interconnects as well. Wondering if component switching is must, or just a nice to have feature.

Looking for sound quality and realiabilty.

If anyone has just go through something like this and has some advice, I would really appreciate it.
Thanks,

John
128x128choiceaudio
Check out the panasonic PT-L300u HD projector for about $1900 street price. The Sony cinemaz 10 has a slightly higher resolution but scales to the same resolution as the panasonic. I had a chance to A/B them and the pana had just as good of a picture with slightly better blacks. I paired it up with a Da-Lite Da-mat perma-wall screen (92" 16x9) for about $400. The Denon is an ok piece for the money. Also, it up-converts s-video and composite video to component. This can save you the expense of running extra cables to the projector. But, with your budget, I would recommend going with a seperates. You can pick up a Carver Theater Grande II for about $1500 and a five channel amp for about $1000 (rotel or outlaw). I noticed in your post that you wanted to do 7.1. 7.1 needs a fairly large room to work right; about 20 x 16 or larger. If your set on 7.1 then check out the Carver Theater Grande III($2700) or the Anthem AVM20($2600). Both these processors also have 2 extra zones already built in. Budget about $800 - $1000 for a decent sub and about $1200 for brackets(projector) and cables. That leaves you about $8000 for speakers and second zone amps.

I've spent the last two months renovating my home theater and expect to have averything finished in about two weeks. Looks almost like a real theater except for the seating which I will change when I have more cash.

Good luck.
A used low hour 8" CRT projector with a Stewart fixed screen and either an HTPC or Faroudja 720p NRS scaler. If you shop around, these 3 pieces can be found in top used shape or new for less than 8k. I would reccomend a Sony G70, NEC 135LC, Electrohome 8500 8" projector. This would give you stellar video.
You could save some $$ from getting a Da-Lite screen instead of a Stewart. As for a projector, an NEC XG-135LC or XG-110LC would be a good bet at the $3500-4500 price range. If you want a really big screen, though, you will have to go with a digital projector. A good recommendation there would be either the NEC HT1000 with the panamorph lens or a Sanyo PLV-70HT (not the 60HT).

Get an HTPC with an Immersive H3DII for a scaler and you are set.
DENON 3803. Get it.
It is a fantastic reciever, you will not be disappointed.
Pretty good multizone feature, but it only does one room.
A seperate control system can always work to enhance that.
I think the DENON 5803 has 3 zone control though.

Paradigm speaks should work great.

If you are open to reccommendations, get the Denon 3803, and get 7 KEF Q1 speakers (bookshelf size). Use identical for front, back, surround, and center. They sound great and are an excellent matchup for the Denon 3083. This is what i have running, along with a deftech subwoofer and it sounds fantastic. The biggest plus, is the Q1's are onlt 225 each

the Denon 3803, and KEFs bought new, totals about $3,600 throw in a good Deftech sub or velodyne, you will still have about 9000-9500 left for projector, screen, and wiring.

Also, i agree with PRPIXEL, he has some very good ideas as well.
Thanks everyone for their advice. I was on vacation and it was nice to have some great responses when I got back.

PRPIXEL- I heard the Anthem system last week and almost bought it. I hear what you are saying about separates. I have a lot more shopping to do, but I feel like I getting closer.
Thanks again!