Who is your overall favorite guitarist?

At 44 years of age, I personally feel fortunate to have lived in an era along with some of the finest guitarists who have ever lived. I have always had an overwhelming love of music. As I look back to my earlier years of music appreciation (I took formal piano training for 17 years) I remember how my instructor would suggest exposing myself to the many different styles and disciplines of music.

These were such valuable words of wisdom. Considering the fact that this suggestion, more or less, forced me to be more open to musicians other than those that played in strictly rock and roll bands.

Wow, was I surprised to find that I could be as entertained by Chet Atkins and Les Paul as I could be by Ritchie Blackmore or Carlos Santana. Just think about some of the finest from our time. Jimi Hendrix, John McLaughlin, Robin Trower, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Eric Johnson, Steve Howe, Al DiMeola, the list could seem almost endless. All such incredible musicians.

Although it's very hard to pick one person or style in particular, let's remember the key words, "overall favorite".
I would probably have to say that my overall favorite would have to be Steve Morse (from Dixie Dregs fame).

Who is your favorite?
128x128buscis2
Are people still reading responses to this thread from January? If so:

Jorma
Richard Thompson
Bruce Cockburn
Steve Howe

Wes
Kenny Burrell
Tal Farlow

But most of all Django!

(I'm shocked that some included Clapton, Jeff Beck, Santana, Eddie Van Whatever, Stevie Ray Whatever; what a joke in comparison).
I don't know if I could pick a favorite but, here's short list: Kirk Hammet (Metallica), Michael Einziger (Incubus), Frank Zappa (Frank Zappa), John Petrucci (Dream Theater).
No BB King? Anyone who can say so much with ONE note has my vote. I mean, it's not how fast you play, it's what you say! It's the space between the notes that moves me, usually.
Roy Buchanan. If you don't have the blues, you will after you hear him play. I don't believe that anyone played with more feeling or expression than he did. I've listened to all the great ones over the last 40 years, and I still love listening to them all. But Roy Buchanan was a cut above. You don't listen to him play, you feel the playing.
Brimac, I mentioned BB King way back there on Jan 4, along with Jorma Kaukonen, who I'm glad to see others remember, and Doc Watson and Merle Travis.