Best DVD plyr for under 1000 new or used ?

Hi - Running Pioneer Elite Pro 520, Direct TV HD, Krell KAV 250a, and Krell KAV 500, Lexicon MC-1 with B&W N804, 805, HTM1. I gave my DVD plyr to my dad and need a new one, and would like to spend $1k or less given that I don't watch too many DVDs. Since I have the Pioneer TV, was favoring Pioneer DVD and looking at DV38a. Any new models or new stuff coming out? All advice appreciated... -Baz
bazmataz

I found that Imation brand cdr disks work great on my dvp-s9000es. I try to burn at 2x or 4x speeds, which seems to help as well. Feel free to email me if i can be of further assistance.

sam
[email protected]
Bazmataz,

There was a thread a while back about this. The 38A is an older player which supports CD, MP3, DVD-Video and DVD-Audio. The 47A is a newer player which also supports SACD. The build quality on the 38A is higher than the 47A. I would look up the old thread.
The Panasonic HD1000 which is the same as the new model except in dvd-a capability. Incredible redbook sound and nonprogressive picture. Can find for $800 used.
I would suggest that you consider the Kenwood Sovereign DV 5700. While the list on the 5700 is $1,200, you can find them within your price range. I have the Pioneer Pro 510 and am very, very pleased with the PQ and sound. I bought and returned the Sony 9000ES which, being a Sony DVD fan, was very hard for me to do. In my opinion, the Sony did not produce nearly as good of a picture as the EAD TVP. I am less concerned with DVD-A or SACD. I am most concerned with picture quality and the 5700 really delivers in that department. You also may wish to consider the new Philips 962 which incorporates the same chipset as the 5700 and retails for about $600. Based on several threads at www.avsforum.com, the sound quality seems to be pretty good as well.
Tdavism3,
I also bought and sold the 9000es after the EAD theatervision was hooked up with my mits 65907. I ended up going back and buying another 9000es. The 2channel Redbook has the type of sound I like. The new 9000es has been running for 1 week tonight. I will hold back for now but,I plan on having EVS do the mod. on the unit.
EVS is not ready to do the mods. yet,I think I'll wait untill fall
Tim