Which came first, the chicken or the egg

Where do you start? Building HT system (Budget $50K New discounted or used). Just finished ASC's WALL DAMP SYSTEM. Now need quality built and sounding electronics. Something recognized by audiophiles (just in case I turn into a junkie and want to dump it in a few months without getting killed, or laughted at). Value priced and not obsolete before its broken in. Tube or transistor but would like 7.1 capabilities. 75% home theater, 25% good stereo listening.
JUMP IN ! Put a system together and be ready to defend your picks to your death, or yield to someone more experienced and knowledgable.(I've read some of the posts, it can get nasty). You have been challenged.... who's first?
blob7
So $50K is for the pre/pro and transport alone and perhaps cabling (7 mono blocks are listed in the other thread as well as the speakers)? Also what of the screen and projector or monitor which needs to match the electronics? I have read lately of people ending up with an unusable screen area due to a mismatch in regard to this (which sounds like a bummer). I still don't get it. Come on Blob. As you all know by now, my recommendation for cable (digital, and balanced IC's aside) is the Sakura OTA Cable kit (at least for the front and center channels and any analog IC's). Why pay more? I am not certain yet if it works in long runs (like for rear channels). I had already cut it up by the time I thought of this with the first batch.
Leafs, I don't think you would agree with your own comments if you were at my place listening to my 5 channel set up. Point is that with carefully chosen components and cabling, a 5 channel system can easily compete with a great 2 channel rig. Vinyl is alive and well, but a versatile 5 channel system is already competitive, and will overtake vinyl at some point. When 5 channel SACD or DVD-A is really fine tuned, stereo will seem lethargic. Don't get me wrong, I am a supporter of analogue and digital formats, but a reality check is in order. Blob, where you start is in the room. The size affects your choice of gear. What are the dimensions of the room you are shopping for? Many of the components J.T. mentioned earlier would serve well for two channel and multi- channel uses.
Respectfully have to disagree.The two dont mix.
I dont care for the sound of Solid State amps.
They may distort less but when they distort its like nails on a chalk boeard.When tubes distort its still sounds like music.
I have A HT set up in my family room.I love it its great for watching movies and videos.
I still prefer my 2 Channel rig for music.
Dont hold your breath for the new formats.I went to one of the largest music chains in the area and they had no clue as to what I spoke of.
When i go see live music it comes at me fron the front.It just does not sound proper to hear the drums comming from the back of me.They are not there in a real performance
Leafs, I don't think you would agree with your own comments if you were at my place listening to my 5 channel set up. Point is that with carefully chosen components and cabling, a 5 channel system can easily compete with a great 2 channel rig. Vinyl is alive and well, but a versatile 5 channel system is already competitive, and will overtake vinyl at some point. When 5 channel SACD or DVD-A is really fine tuned, stereo will seem lethargic. Don't get me wrong, I am a supporter of analogue and digital formats, but a reality check is in order. Blob, where you start is in the room. The size affects your choice of gear. What are the dimensions of the room you are shopping for? Many of the components J.T. mentioned earlier would serve well for two channel and multi- channel uses.
Bmpnyc,I get your point.You say it will over take viynl at some point.Well we have been waiting almost 20 years since we where told about perfect sound forever.
One more thing your 5 channel rig will be obselete or is allready 6.1 7.1 8.1 9.1 10.1 do you think they will ever stop trying to sell you stuff.